Fave Replacement Speaker DC-3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimsz

Reaction score
Hi

I've got a 1993 DC-3 which has a Celestion G12M-70. I'd like to replace it. What's your preference replacement speaker for this amp and why do you like it? I'm thinking maybe the 50 watt Celestion Gold or is that overkill? Cheers!
music-096.gif

Monsta-Tone said:
My all time favorite is the Mojotone BV-30H in the combo with the EV Thiele cab underneath!

That's amazing! The Mojotone is only an $80 speaker, and only 30 watts. Do you ever play it without the cab? I'm looking for a single speaker swap out and was wondering what that speaker sounds like on it's own... ?

jimsz said:
Monsta-Tone said:
My all time favorite is the Mojotone BV-30H in the combo with the EV Thiele cab underneath!

That's amazing! The Mojotone is only an $80 speaker, and only 30 watts. Do you ever play it without the cab? I'm looking for a single speaker swap out and was wondering what that speaker sounds like on it's own... ?

+1 for Mojotone!

I'm using a Mojo BV-30V together with an EVM for my Mark IV and it sounds great.

I had a Celestion V-30 in my DC-3. That sounded really good too. I think the Mojo (made in USA!) is every bit a good as the Celestion.

The parts are from the original Celestion supplier and made in the US. Probably by Emminence, although Mojotone isn't saying who makes them. Might even be Weber since they do a lot of trading.

I'm usually not a C90 fan, but for some reason I really like it with my DC and Rectoverb as well. It's a good all-around speaker. The cleans are nice and the distortion is smooth with just a touch of bite. The Vintage 30 adds quite a bit of bite and aggression to your tone, but also adds an annoying mid spike.

Guitar Wharehouse Retro 75....Deeper,tighter bass and more high's than a V30. Great price too. Worth a try at a fraction of the cost.

rockboy999 said:
Guitar Wharehouse Retro 75....Deeper,tighter bass and more high's than a V30. Great price too. Worth a try at a fraction of the cost.

Love the warehouse guitar speakers! The Veteran 30 is a great speaker.

Monsta-Tone said:

Hey guys - first post, been lurking for some time. Based on your experience Monsta-Tone, I went ahead and ordered the mojo, installed this past weekend in my dc-5. Big difference compared to the black shadow. For me the black shadow was too dark, and seemed to be adding some shrillness.

The mojo at first sounded a lot like the ev equipped thiele i have underneath, but as it is breaking in and my ears are tuning up i am starting to get the difference.

I didn't ask them :lol: I just ordered the 30H. I guess the only difference is 30w .vs. 60w?

This is motivating me to revisit the speakers in my marshall 4x12. It is filled with these celestion G12-70s, circa 1985. With the 100w Marshall head on top cranked to 8 or 9 they come alive :shock: But otherwise never really inspired me. They sound sort of plain, some good oomph but not very musical to my ears.

With the dc-5 driving they sound harsh to me. btw i rewired the cab in parallel for 4ohm, as it is wired for 16ohm stock.

I have a Stilleto Traditional angled 4x12 with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 Heritage 30's.
It really sings! It's a bit bright for my tastes, but I never have to push it very hard to get it to sound good.

I had a Marshall 1936 with the 75's in it and it just sounded dead, no matter what I did.

If you order more Mojo speakers, call them and see what they recommend. The BV25's sound really good in a 20 watt amp, but will get really muddy with a larger one.

I'm trying to snag an unloaded combo shell for my DC-3 so this thread is more relevant to me now. Keep the speaker recommendations coming!

Hi Bottle Rocket-I recently got a DC-3 combo and found the Celestion V30 too harsh and replaced it with a MOJO BV30H.It's a world of difference and suites me.I just installed it yesterday and have only been able to get 2-20 min.sessions in,it should only improve after breaking in.I had tube issues and used stuff I had on hand to improve the sound,I ordered a medium gain set from JJ and installed them tonite,even tough I only played for about 20 mins it is much better.This amp is worth doing some maintenance to,clean the pots,jacks and tube sockets.Check the solder joints on the power tube sockets all mine needed to be resoldered it got rid of some bad noise issues.Good luck

Back