F50 ***** reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six20aus

Reaction score
I love my F50 but have a problem with the reverb.

I have to turn the reverb to 12o'clock before you can really hear it on either channel and its not enough reverb for my taste but if I go any further its noisy as all hell on both channels...

Could the tube just need replacing ? I dont know how old the tubes are in this amp I bought it off ebay...

Im not sure, but I used to have an F-50 and the reverb really did suck. It wasn't 'warm' at all, and it also got pretty noisey.

Thats the only thing that sucks about those amps.

+1

The reverb is lackluster at best on the F-50. I never turn it on, and use a rack reverb in the loop. It's a shame, because in all other respects, the amp is incredible.

It's ultimately a matter of taste, but I actually like the F-50's reverb. When I first played it, I was surprised, as I expected something like a Fender reverb. It grew on me, though. It adds a nice, subtle color to the sound, and really opens it up nicely. I find that it works really well to adjust the sound of the amp to the room I'm playing in. A Fender-like spring reverb adds a springy, echoey color to short, clipped notes, but doesn't really change the sound otherwise. Now, I like that, too -- it's a classic guitar tone.

I'm not sure I'd use the F-50 reverb to record, it really seems better for live use. But, something like that may be better added in post-production anyway.

I never liked reverb in amps at all but i tought about something...maybe trying it with a prorackG decimator should give a very good result.

six20aus said:
I love my F50 but have a problem with the reverb.

I have to turn the reverb to 12o'clock before you can really hear it on either channel and its not enough reverb for my taste but if I go any further its noisy as all hell on both channels...

Could the tube just need replacing ? I dont know how old the tubes are in this amp I bought it off ebay...

1+ on the other F-50 reverb comments. It's not the best sounding in the world. It's one of the things that I dislike on mine, but if you're having to turn it up to 12 to even hear it at all, you may want to get it checked. I can at least hear mine at a much lower setting, which is usually 9:30-10 on the clean channel and a little lower on the gain channel.

+1 The reverb on the F-50 isn't that great but from your description it sounds like something is wrong with the amp.

Did you check the cables running to and from the reverb tank?

Sorry to give the wrong impression, I was exaggerating I guess, I can hear it on the clean channel start from around 9-10 o'clock but I guess my point was its completely useless (to my ears) until 12 o'clock at which point its only just starting to be something I appreciate as reverb. I'd like to turn it further but it just introduces so much noise that's as far as I can stand...

Would love to have endless wads of cash to throw at more gear like a rack effects with reverb but was hoping to get a useable reverb out of the amp head I paid $1500AUD for... (mesa's are EXPENSIVE in Australia).

six20aus said:
Sorry to give the wrong impression, I was exaggerating I guess, I can hear it on the clean channel start from around 9-10 o'clock but I guess my point was its completely useless (to my ears) until 12 o'clock at which point its only just starting to be something I appreciate as reverb. I'd like to turn it further but it just introduces so much noise that's as far as I can stand...

Would love to have endless wads of cash to throw at more gear like a rack effects with reverb but was hoping to get a useable reverb out of the amp head I paid $1500AUD for... (mesa's are EXPENSIVE in Australia).

I feel your pain. If I had the extra money, I would sell mine and buy a 5:50. It has a much better reverb. I like the F-50's tone, but the reverb on the 5:50 is one of the persuading factors for me.

Back