F30 Vs. Single Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRANK

Reaction score
I currently own a single rectifier and with my TS9 I really love the tone and versatility. Unfortunately it's a bit to loud for my use, I'm just a bedroom rocker no gigging. I was wondering if an F30 would be what I'm looking for. I currently have El34's in my single rec. Could anyone tell me if the F30 would be better for my needs. I like anything form GNR to Metallica.

Thanks

Hi KRANK.
I've got both the f30 and a single rectifier, and both great amps! You will have to try the f30. It is not an amp for everyone. If you are a bedroom rocker, then i can surely understand that the single rectifier is a bit too loud! i also love the versatility of the recto, but the f30 is just as versatile in my opinion! it is definitely not as loud as the recto, but it surely is a loud amp as well. I think it will fit your needs well. It has got very nice cleans (better than the recto imo), and very nice drivesounds as well. GnR and Metallica it is surely capable of doing. There is probably other amps that is more "metallica" and "gnr", but the f30 is really versatile! But at the same time, it does not sound like a recto, though you can get close. I think, that if the f30 was a louder amp, i would sell my recto actually. But i am gigging, so i have to have some headroom ready when needed.
Hope this was usefull for you!
B.r. andershoeg

Thanks allot for the reply. I'm currently in Japan, ans don't have any music stores near by. So alot of my new gear is bought off of research. Thanks for the reply it was great. It sounds that with my TS9 and a F30 will get me what I want.

KRANK,

I traded in my F30 for a stiletto Ace mainly because like you I play mostly at home. The F30 had great tone but it was either very quiet or very loud. When I played with a drummer friend of mine it was easily able to play over the drum kit but in the house with children and wife ,there wasn't much transition between too quiet and too loud. The Ace gets great tone from more moderate volumes as well as quiet and loud.

I'm curious about the new Express series. The Express 5:25 has the EL 84's as the F 30 and is switchable from 5 to 25 watts. This might fit what your looking.

Yes, Louisbc82 is right. The f30 is really loud as well. not as loud as the recto, but it can be very "disturbing" (for the rest of the family, that is! ;) ). I would definitely also check out the new express! looks very interesting, especially with the 25->5 watts option!
b.r. andershoeg

I wonder why more people don't try this:

I keep a pair of yellowjackets so I can run my single rec on el84's at 25 watts for a different sound. It isn't nearly as loud with the yellowjackets and it has a cool tone.

M

I too am onboard for the Express, except I'll probably do the 5:50. The versatility is awesome, with the 5 to 50 watt switch.

Ive never been a F-series fan,but there clean channels are immaculate!!!!!sparkle,sparkle.The recto is great,but yes probably toooooo loud for bedroom use.I would think about the ace!!!they are really great amps and sound awsome!!!!!!!!!But I do like the idea of using THD yellowjackets to half the power(never thought of that one,el84's would sound fab as well).I would probably check that setup as the recto is too good an amp to give up for a f-series in my opinion,dont mean to offend anyone :D

ohhhh what about a THD hotplate(attenuator),get that baby cooking and not having your ears desapated!!!!!!!AHHHHHH unleash the fury of that Recto for pure bone crushing gain insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeh there great Mastertrax,I dont use one as I normally ge to really crank my dual rec at practise(we have a loud drummer).They are probably the best attenuators around,Great device,everyone should own one,never know what the venue is gonna be like.

Another way of lowering volume (but might change tone for the good or bad) is to get a 212 16ohm cab with LOW SPL speakers, somthing way lower than 97db@1w/1m, in other words making the amp/speaker combination the least efficient possible.... this requires ALOT of experimentation with different speakers and probably speakers you would think are the least likely to generate a good sound, but surprisingly they do... here's an example:

get 2 10inch Goldwood (this is an OEM manufacturer for hundreds of speaker companies), this is a woofer originally intended for hifi, but it's specs are perfect for a guitar amp and its low SPL PLUS wiring 2 8ohm speakers for 16ohm resistance will allow you to crank your amp: I have tried many of these strange combinations for clients looking for the same type of result and can tell you that this particular speaker sounds exactly like the Celestion Vintage30, except that it has a much bigger bottom end... Unfortunately in the past i never recorded any of these surprising combinations, but I will definitely be building one of these for experimentation purposes in the next month or so, and will post an audio clip when I do...

Specifications: * Power handling: 140 watts RMS/270 watts max * Voice coil diameter: 1-1/2" * Le: 1.85 mH * Frequency response: 36-5,000 Hz * Re: 7.22 ohms * Magnet weight: 40 oz. * Fs: 45 Hz * SPL: 90.4 dB 2.83W/1m * Vas: 1.12 cu. ft. * Qms: 4.50 * Qes: .52 * Qts: .47 * Xmax: 3.55mm * Net weight: 7-1/3 lbs. * Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 10", Cutout Diameter: 9-1/8", Mounting Depth: 4-3/8", Magnet Diameter: 4", Magnet Height: 1-1/4".

Latest posts

Back