F30 AND JJ TUBES QUESTION

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamminjc

Reaction score
Have any F30 owners done the JJ retube? If so, can you give me some feedback on how they compare to the mesa sovtek tubes? Thanks

I'd like to know too. I have some JJ EL84's but they don't make a whole lot of difference. I'm thinking the preamp tubes would have more effect on the tone. I'm using a tung-sol reissue in V1 and V2 and it really adds come clarity to both channels...

I put in a whole set of JJs. Very happy. Crunchier, tighter & better master volume control.

I have some JJ preamp tubes on the way - they MIGHT be here tomorrow - Saturday for sure. I'll update on the result. I hope my results are like Hobo's!!

Got the tubes installed yesterday. H-O-L-Y C-R-A-P!!!!! I found my perfect tone. Just like Hobo said, it's quieter, tighter, and crunchier. My cleans are superb (i used to not like the clean channel very much), and the distortion is less compressed and more open and warm sounding. I'm VERY happy with the tone. I'm completely sold on the JJ tube hype now... Thanks Hobo!!!!

I jammed with it last night at a friend's house and it sounded awesome! I've never heard any amp change so much from a tube swap. She's a keeper for sure!

Glad those tubes worked out.

I love they way they sound in my F-30.

MusicManJP6 said:
Yep! Eurotubes is correct. They are easy to work with and ship fast...
THANKS! Alright, bro. I'm gonna jump in and try this re-tube thing. The way you and fishyfishfish describe the difference in tone, well, that is just what I'm hoping to obtain. I'll let ya know!

MusicManJP6 said:
I have some JJ preamp tubes on the way - they MIGHT be here tomorrow - Saturday for sure. I'll update on the result. I hope my results are like Hobo's!!

What type of JJ preamp you are getting? I am planning to retube my rectifier next week.

Thanks Bro.

You may also want to try a few different tubes in V1. Try a re-issue Tung-Sol, (smooth) or A Electro-Harmonix, (very quiet) works nice in there. It never hurts to have a spare tube if you dont like it in your amp. I prefer the Tung-Sol.

Pick up a 5751 also for V1. It runs at about 70% less distortion than a 12AX7. It will smooth out the amp and give you more headroom for cleans.

I find the JJ In V1 makes the amp break up way too soon for me in my Nomad 45 112. The JJ 12AX7 runs at about 112%

If I want that max distortion I just engage the extreme switch.

I do prefer the JJ EL 84's in my Nomad.

Try this...

V1 Tung-Sol 12AX7 or 5751

V2 JJ 12AX7

V3 Chinese 12AX7

V4 Matched and Balanced Electro-Harmonix 12AX7A

JJ EL 84-s for power tubes.

Just a note. Russian tubes are a little dark sounding, although I dont have this problem with EL-84 amps. You can use a good quality Chinese tube to brighten up a dark sounding amp.

Pick up yourself up a 2X12 cabinet with Vintage 30's. I guarantee this setup will get you knowticed.

I installed the standard JJ 12ax7's from the eurotube site. I already had the power tubes (came with the amp), so I ordered 3 standard 12ax7's and one balanced triode 12ax7 for V4 (Phase Inverter). Sounds so much better now...

Latest posts

Back