F-50 tube questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pau_leader

Reaction score
How easy is it to retube?

How do you take off the aluminum caps for the 12ax7's?

Anything to watchout for before taking out the tubes?

Thanks.

It's very easy to retube your own amp.

To get the aluminum shields off the 12ax7s you just need to twist them a bit until they pop out...you may need to push in on them a little, too.

Other than making sure the amp is off (!) and preferably unplugged, be sure to take note of the orientation of the pins when you remove the tubes. There will be a gap in the pins on both the 12ax7s and the 6L6s and you want to make sure you put the new tubes in with the gap in the same place (the tube sockets have holes all the way around, so it IS possible to put them in with the pins in the wrong holes).

It's that easy...it's certainly not worth paying some one to do it for you!!

Edit: It will be easier to get the tubes out if you sort of rock them back and forth...that is, when you're pulling them out, pull a bit to one side, then back to the other and so on to work them out slowly with small movements. It works pretty well to put them back in that way, too. Just keep the movements small, being careful not to go so far as to bend the pins

Surfcaster said:
It's very easy to retube your own amp.

To get the aluminum shields off the 12ax7s you just need to twist them a bit until they pop out...you may need to push in on them a little, too.

Is it easy getting them back on? Or can you leave them off?

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get them back on. The problem on the F50 is that a couple of the 12ax7s are in behind one of the transformers and it makes it harder to get at those...actually makes it almost impossible to see whether you've got the pins oriented correctly...I did it by feel, but it was kind of a pain. It probably would have been easier just to take the chassis off to do it, but it can be done.

But definitely put the shields back on...they are there for a reason. As Nite_Maresz_25 said, you may find your amp channeling radio stations if you don't! They have springs in them that fit over the nipple on the top of the tube, then just align the tabs to fit through the chassis then push it down until it's in place and twist. Again, the location of the transformer makes it more difficult than it really should be, but it can be done with a little patience...or again, take the chassis out.

Good luck!

P L,
above info right on the money. I find that the hardest tube to get back in is the first, closest to the input jack in back of the transformer. It's a challenge to get that aluminum shield back on.
I found (using my daughters make-up mirror/ no comments, please) that it's easier to get that tube in. A smaller mirror would work a lot better; that would give a more useable angle. Make sure the pins are pretty straight with pushing your tubes back in. It makes the job easier!
GREAT AMP! Have fun with it!

Back