F-50 owners?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are five settings. 0-load, 4,8,12 &16 dbl.....with the -16 setting being adjustable from 0 volume to -16. The other settings can't be adjusted downward, just straight rated attenuation. For a bedroom setting tho, -16 is still plenty loud. When you turn the cut downward hard it does suck some highs and lows off so there are bright and deep switches to compensate somewhat. -12db is still very loud and sounds best to me. Still full and saturated. Don't even think about using the wrong load rating for your amp or you risk blowing the amp and the hotplate.

If you can't turn it up to get at what this amp will really sound like, an attenuator is the only way to go......I don't have experience with any other type than THD. I also own a Univalve. I really did'nt especially like what this amp had to offer at lower volumes and that's not the way it was designed.

Incidentally, you Brits ROCK!

y.

thanks for that, it's really helpful. I can't wait to try it now. I think I'll get the Wylde as well, will post back with findings!
(and thanks for the compliment! looking forward to crossing the pond again sometime.)
usa.gif

oooops.....forgot to share the love.

clean:bright bluesey grit

master- 11:00
gain-2:00
treb-11:00
mid-9:00
bass-10:00
rev- 9:00

Lead: high gain

master-11:00
gain-11:00
treb- 1:00
mid- 10:00
bass- 9:00
rev- 8:00

-12db attenuation
bright -off
deep-off

kick mxr ZW for boost:
level-4:00
gain-off
tone-11:00

pretty loud.

:twisted:

Does anyone know how the F50 compares to the DC5? I'm looking to replace my MarkIII with either one of these, preferably in head / 2x12" config.
The Mark III is just too loud and I haven't been able to get a good clean sound out of it.

Just added the F-series to the database page.

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/tone-settings.html

elektrik7 said:
Does anyone know how the F50 compares to the DC5? I'm looking to replace my MarkIII with either one of these, preferably in head / 2x12" config.
The Mark III is just too loud and I haven't been able to get a good clean sound out of it.

Yes. I've owned a DC-5 and have an F50 on order right now. The DC-5 is a fine amp, but it was not for me. I just couldn't get the clean sound I wanted from it and had a hard time getting a brown low gain crunch sound that worked for me. I gave the DC-5 an honest try, but it lasted one gig before I sold it and went back to playing my '67 Fender Bassman/2x12 rig. That was almost 8 or 9 years ago. I gave up on Boogies until I played an F50 recently. I was in the market for something a bit more modern (I'm used to one channel with three knobs) and fell in love with the F50. I love the simplicity of the controls and the array of good sounds available with minimal fiddling. What especially drew me to the F50 was the clean sound. It is similar to my old Bassman, but with more control. The addition of reverb is nice. Again, my preference is for old Fenders, so take that into consideration. The F50 sounds more "Fendery" to my ears than the DC-5; which is kind of ironic considering the circuit design is the biggest departure from the Fender model that Mesa has produced. If a great clean sound is what you are after, give the F50 a go. I think you'll like it.

Hey, guys, I was directed to this forum by a member on HCAF. This site looks to be less about political ramblings and more about amps; kudos to the moderators.

Anyway, I've had my F-100 2x12 combo for over 2 years now and I still love that thing. My band is alternative rock so I need everything from spanky clean to bluesy overdrive to classic rock to melt your face off metal and the F-100 delivers in spades. I have a standard template of settings that I recommend when people inquire about the amp on HCAF, so I thought I'd share.

Single Coil Blackface Clean (CH1)
Gain: 12:30
Treble: 1:00
Mid: 11:30
Bass: 12:00
Reverb: 12:00
Master: 11:00

Humbucker Metal Rhythm (CH 2)
Gain: 2:00
Treble: 2:00
Mid: 10:30
Bass: 1:00
Reverb: 8:00
Master: 10:00

Humbucker Old School Overdrive (CH1 + Pull Bright)
Gain: 5:00; Pull Bright
Treble: 5:00
Mid: 3:00
Bass: 9:00
Reverb: 12:00

Humbucker Vintage High Gain (CH2 + Contour)
Gain: 9:00
Treble: 12:00
Mid: 3:00
Bass: 12:00
Reverb: 9:00

Single Coil Tweed Spank (CH1 + Pull Bright)
Gain: 11:00
Treble: 12:00
Mid: 1:00
Bass: 9:00
Reverb: 5:00

Humbucker Modern Solo (CH 2)
Gain: 2:00
Treble: 1:00
Mid: 2:30
Bass: 11:00
Reverb: 10:00
Master: 10:30

This is my main gig and practice rig
rgi_nk.jpg

Bought my new wood cab combo last week, works beautifully out of the box. Sound awesome with my LP custom and PRS, absolutely love it more than my gurl.
The trouble is I want a MK4 now.... wonder how they work as a team...

Happy tweakin'

To be honest, that's the reason I went with the Recto. The F-50 sounded good but just didn't have that over the top gain. Ironically I'm not really a metal player (more 70's-80's hard rock - UFO,Scorpions,GaryMoore), I just like that big ol' nasty Satch type lead tone that I get out of the ROV combo.

pau_leader said:
TheRazMeister said:
pau_leader said:
I own the F-50 1x12 combo. It sounds great! But how does one get more breakup?

By trading in your F-50 for a Rectoverb combo :D

lol for real?

Yeah I know what you mean. I may have to trade it in for a Road king or stilletto. Or just keep it and get one of those amps.

Just turn the master volume up. Once you get to about 9 o clock on the master volume, you will get power tube distortion. This is where the F50 starts to sound good. It sounds best, when the master volume is at 11:30. It has an incredible tone.

"To be honest, that's the reason I went with the Recto. The F-50 sounded good but just didn't have that over the top gain. Ironically I'm not really a metal player (more 70's-80's hard rock - UFO,Scorpions,GaryMoore), I just like that big ol' nasty Satch type lead tone that I get out of the ROV combo."

Are you kidding?! The F50 has just as much gain as a recto. The lead mode w/o contour is super nice, reminescent of a boutique style gain structure. It is an amazing tone. The contour mode easily has enough gain to play any UFO, Scorpions, or Gary Moore.

j37

Don't mean to argue, but the F-50 has no where near the gain the Rectoverb combo has. Now I could've been playing a bad F-50, but I tried one at Guitar Center and the ROV easily out-gained it. To my ears, the F-50 sounded better than the ROV without tweaking but it just did not have that singing compressed lead tone I was looking for. I judge amp gain on what it sounds like when the gain is set to 1:30-2:00. To me if good breakup occurs there, you have more room to play with. The F-50 was even short of the smooth distortion that a Crate V32 30 watt class A amp gave me when tested side by side.

j37nm said:
Are you kidding?! The F50 has just as much gain as a recto. The lead mode w/o contour is super nice, reminescent of a boutique style gain structure. It is an amazing tone. The contour mode easily has enough gain to play any UFO, Scorpions, or Gary Moore.

j37

Ok this is cool.

Someone here mentioned that if you turn your mids up your gain gets harsh. I turned my mids to 1:30, And it sounds cool. At lower volumes there is more breakup, Its still not what im looking for but its a start.

I still wanna tweak... this amp rocks!

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back