F-30 vs. Nomad 45

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, first post!

So, I'm thinking of jumping into the world of tube amps and I've heard nothing but good things about Mesa. I've decided that I want a small combo amp and have narrowed it down to the F-30 and the Nomad 45. I know that Nomad is discontinued and rumor has it that the F-30 is discontinued as well. I'm leaning towards the Nomad because it has 3 channels which I really like but I wouldn't think that Mesa would discontinue an amp to introduce something worse. So is the F-30 tonally different from the 45 or the same? I played an F-30 today and loved it but I would really like to have 3 channels. What should I do?

beyondthislife said:
Hey, first post!

So, I'm thinking of jumping into the world of tube amps and I've heard nothing but good things about Mesa. I've decided that I want a small combo amp and have narrowed it down to the F-30 and the Nomad 45. I know that Nomad is discontinued and rumor has it that the F-30 is discontinued as well. I'm leaning towards the Nomad because it has 3 channels which I really like but I wouldn't think that Mesa would discontinue an amp to introduce something worse. So is the F-30 tonally different from the 45 or the same? I played an F-30 today and loved it but I would really like to have 3 channels. What should I do?

Don't forget the DC-3, with the 4xEL84 power section of the Nomad 45, and what I think is a better preamp section than either the F-30 or the Nomad. The DC-3 has a switchable Graphic EQ, and it really adds to the versatility of the amp. I LOVE my DC-3!

The Nomad Series was reviewed by Guitar Player Magazine, back when they were introduced--might be worth trying to find that review. The Nomad, with twice the power of the F-30, should have a little more clean headroom, if that is a consideration. They have a few more features.

The F-Series amps are renown for their simplicity, as well as producing some great tones. And with the Contour footswitch, your virtually have three channels. What the F-Series doesn't have in that regard, you can get from an overdrive pedal, anyway.

Good luck!

Clean headroom and all that doesn't mean much to me yet because I really don't know anything about it. The 20 minutes I spent playing the F-30 was the first time I played a tube amp so I'm very new. I do need versatility though. I play in a bunch of bands at churches where a good clean is needed and than a mid-range overdrive is good for "heavier" songs and every once-in-a-while I get to really crank up the distortion. :twisted: That's why I'd like the 3 channels of a Nomad, so I could have all 3 settings ready on the fly.
With overdrive pedals, would I be able to say...put one on the clean channel to kick me into a mid-range gain stage and then have one in the dirty channel and use that as a boost for solos?

Back