F-30 just came in!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I'll be playing it thoroughly tonight. I'm at work at the moment... :(

EDIT: Played it on my lunch break and noticed it sounded really thin because of the open back. Anyone know if I can get an insert from Mesa to velcro in under the metal bar on the back? I'd like to still be able to keep the footswitch and cable in the pouch in the back for easy transport. A hinge with magnets holding the insert closed would be pretty cool too. Sounds like a lot of work though...

I really like it other than the thin sounding cab. It has very recto-esque distortion and it is VERY loud!

I played the F-30 at my buddy’s house for several hours tonight. I got it dialed in and it sounds REALLY good! The EL84’s are a different animal than their big brother (the 6L6), but sounds good nonetheless. I read a few posts where people said you don’t need to turn the gain up past 12:00 and so at first I didn’t. I kept tweaking and wondering why it didn’t have the balls I was after – and then I turned the gain up to 3:00 for the heck of it and BAM, there it was. The contour works well for either solos or an even heavier rhythm tone. The cleans are AMAZING. I’m really happy with it all in all…

I think it sounded thin at first coz I put it on top of my bass amp coz i'm out of room in my apartment. At my friend's house I put it on the ground and it sounded great after I tweaked it...

Cool!

I was looking at one of these to buy. Glad you like it.

Glad you're liking it.

I never turn my gain past 9:00 for the style of music I play(classic rock) and I can tell you that mine definately does not sound thin.

Big, Fat, Crunchy tone.

I also have a Marshall JCM800 combo to compare it to.

Cool!

Yeah, I say get one. You'll like it too!

I read several posts about people saying there was a hiss in the clean channel they couldn't get rid of, and the gain stopped at 12:00 and had no effect after that point, and the volume knob doesn't work until about 9:30. THIS IS NOT THE CASE - at least not with mine anyway. I'm running stock Mesa tubes from what I can tell... I'm really happy with it. I'll try out the FX loop soon and see how I like it...

MusicManJP6 said:
Cool!

Yeah, I say get one. You'll like it too!

I read several posts about people saying there was a hiss in the clean channel they couldn't get rid of, and the gain stopped at 12:00 and had no effect after that point, and the volume knob doesn't work until about 9:30. THIS IS NOT THE CASE - at least not with mine anyway. I'm running stock Mesa tubes from what I can tell... I'm really happy with it. I'll try out the FX loop soon and see how I like it...

Mine hisses like crazy when you turn up both the volume and gain. keep one or the other down low and it's not an issue. It's much worse in the clean channel. However, this is using the amp in the house so it wouldn't be an issue under normal cirucmstances.

BTW, mine is a new amp with original tubes. I've got some JJ's left over from other amp's I've owned an may give them a try.

My F-30 is kind of noisy to, but I don't notice it at gigs. If you want a real kick in the pants, plug it into a 4x12 cab and let it rip. This thing is a monster!

I plugged mine up to my 3/4 back and it sounded just as big and fat as my Roadster! I've heard they sound enormous with a thiele too...

I retubed mine with all new JJs. They have two options. One is a high gain and the other is normal.

I called Eurotubes and they asked me what style of music I played. I play mostly blues based classic rock. I wanted the low gain with max headroom.

The new tubes virtually eliminated the hiss and sound a lot better.
With the MESA tubes the volume knob quit wouldn't do much after 12:00.
Now it continues to work past 12:00.

Huge improvement.

how can you tell the high gain and normal tubes JJ's apart? Is there anything on the box that eludes to which tubes I have?

I have no idea.

You could always call Eurotubes and ask them. The were very helpful when I called.

I threw the boxes away when I installed the tubes.

I probably should have kept them for when I need new ones.

my f30 has the thickest, creamiest lead tone you could ask for.
it also has a killer crunch rythm sound.
the clean channel has tons of bottom and a nice sound also.

it is totally silent regardless of gain/volumn settings.

i have owned and played boogies for almost 30 years and for my style(s) of music (80's metal, blues/rock) it does all i could ever ask for.

i never even turn my rectos or stilleto on any more.

otter

Otter5555,
i AM experiencing the hiss, etc., that has been mentioned about the F-30 amp. please share yer settings, tubes, speakers, guitar,pickups,etc., for as close a comparison. There are moments when I love and moments when i hate my f-30 and would like a reference. Heck I was even considering getting rid of mine and looking at a Genz Benz El Diablo 60c....Someone give me reasons to keep my Mesa!!!!!!!!!

radmo

Back