F-30 for crunchy metal sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RazMeister,
the new Crates are more "vintage" voiced, the old one was quite aggressive. I am afraid I will have to go custom way again - which is not bad anyways.

I have owned an F-30 combo for a little over a year. My amp is stock, I have made no modifications and still use the factory tubes.

My impression of the F-30 combo is that it has more of a hard rock sound than metal. You can get a tone suitable for some kinds of metal by engaging the contour feature, but you might have difficulty getting a modern nu metal tone with a stock F-30.

Make sure you can try the amp before you buy it, or get it from a place with a good return policy just in case you can't get the kind of metal tones you are looking for.

That's correct, the V32 excels at Neal Schon (Journey) type overdrive...gainey, yet controled, and it really sounds good with a delay in the effects loop. But it doesn't get the big "honky" overdrive of classic Marshalls (Styx, AC/DC, Foreigner) or the Recto overdrive of Mesa's.
Jaroslav said:
RazMeister,
the new Crates are more "vintage" voiced, the old one was quite aggressive. I am afraid I will have to go custom way again - which is not bad anyways.

Razmeister,

I had briefly plugged into the V32 a few months ago and was pretty impressed with the tone. The thing that was a deal breaker for me was the lag time when switching channels...not conducive for live playing at all. Does yours not suffer from that problem, do you work around it or it's not really an issue to you?

Surf...let me check that today...oddly enough I have a split second delay on my ROV combo when switching channels..
BTW, I used an old washburn Chorus in the loop of the V32 yesterday and the clean tone sounded like 3 Martins being strummed together. My only complaint about the amp is that the channels share EQ...which in most cases is okay....but well...you know... 8)

Surfcaster said:
Razmeister,

I had briefly plugged into the V32 a few months ago and was pretty impressed with the tone. The thing that was a deal breaker for me was the lag time when switching channels...not conducive for live playing at all. Does yours not suffer from that problem, do you work around it or it's not really an issue to you?

So, a Subway Rocket should be on its way, I expect it to arrive tomorrow. I hope I will be able to share my opinions on it after the weekend.

um......how about a single recto or a stiletto ace?? Great amps!! And if you wanted you could get a combo! I had a Subway rocket for a while before I entered the rehlm of the rectifier via trem-o-verb. It didnt posess the gain I was looking for to chunk-- even with the contour on. The clean was great!! Very fender meets brit sparkle! I would suggest you getting a V-Twin for the front of it to do some metal--BTW--has anyone tried the newer Krank Distortus Maximus?? I havent...just wondering. :D

Don't forget, that most newer Mesa amps are almost twice as expensive than in USA and used ones go still higher than US recommended prices. They are simpy out of my momentary budget. But there are many Calibers, DC-2, Studios for good prices.

And now to the Rocket - It would be 100 % fine for me with a 12" speaker (EVM12L sounds the bes to my ear with it). The internal speaker is not suitable for my purpose, it is more rock oriented. In the contour mode I can get quite close to the sound I use on my DR, so all in all I am quite satisfied. I am afraid, that 15 W is too low power when my bandmates have a DR and a 300 W bass amp. I haven't tried it with a 4x12 yet, I will do that soon. I should have bought some of the 50 W + 12" speaker combo with the graphic EQ. The time will tell if I will keep it, or change it for another Mesa or Engl Screamer combo.

So Rocket gets 8 of 10 points, not too bad:)

i think a graphic EQ in the FX loop should help to achieve some metal tones with an F30

jbird said:
no soul said:
jbird said:
F-30 for crunchy, metal sound? I don't think so!

yeah, thanks for sharing and explaining why :roll:
Do I need to explain why I don't feel a 30 watt EL84 based amp would be my 1st recommendation for a "crunchy, metal" sound? And why I also would'nt recommend it when the poster would prefer a lower wattage amp akin to the RED channel of a Rectifier! I don't think so!

Well, you could explain yourself. Or, be a jag. You chose the latter.

Hey CudBucket! Might you have anything interesting to say on the subject? Other than commenting on a reply I made nearly six months ago! Who's the "jag" here? (Whatever that is?)

jbird said:
Hey CudBucket! Might you have anything interesting to say on the subject? Other than commenting on a reply I made nearly six months ago! Who's the "jag" here? (Whatever that is?)

What difference does it make how long ago it was? You didn't add anything interesting so why should I?

Latest posts

Back