Extreme - Cynical (New Mesa Boogie Mark IV Clip)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson5413

Reaction score
I am still working on mixing levels but kind of like the clip itself. I am a huge Extreme fan and this is one of my favorite songs. I was going for a different tone from the Mark IV. I actually used Rhythm 2 and a Maxon OD-9 for a clean boost. I tried adjusting the bass and drum levels and got a little bit better results (I don't have time to really dive into EQing individual drum tracks yet).

What do you think? I am trying to record more diverse Mark IV clips (even though I like making metal ones too).

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25077

Now this one is pretty kickin man! Nice job and playing. I'm going to sound like an idiot and you're going to think I'm hard to please but turn your bass track down just a bit, not very much! It's taking over the guitar a little to much and to my ears if you turned it down some it would match quite nicely with your kick sound and sit nice nicely under your guitar. The guitar tone is cool! I think you might notice that if you turn the bass track down a bit you'll have some room to put a bit of the lows back in the guitar, a bit more pick thud for all the aggresive choppy attacks you're doing. That would sound cool. That's just what I would do, I don't know what you're aiming to capture in the mix though.

it sounds killer for sure....its a great tone and i love it....but if you are trying to actually mimick the tone used in that song then i think your tone is a bit oversaturated....it needs a little less gain and more of a single coil blended with a humbucker to my ears.....but like i said...as a stand alone track i think your tone rocks!!!!!!!!!

Bourque said:
Now this one is pretty kickin man! Nice job and playing. I'm going to sound like an idiot and you're going to think I'm hard to please but turn your bass track down just a bit, not very much! It's taking over the guitar a little to much and to my ears if you turned it down some it would match quite nicely with your kick sound and sit nice nicely under your guitar. The guitar tone is cool! I think you might notice that if you turn the bass track down a bit you'll have some room to put a bit of the lows back in the guitar, a bit more pick thud for all the aggresive choppy attacks you're doing. That would sound cool. That's just what I would do, I don't know what you're aiming to capture in the mix though.

Yeah, I am still working on the mixing levels. I am a "noob" in terms of recording. I will keep working on it. Practice makes perfect.

masque said:
it sounds killer for sure....its a great tone and i love it....but if you are trying to actually mimick the tone used in that song then i think your tone is a bit oversaturated....it needs a little less gain and more of a single coil blended with a humbucker to my ears.....but like i said...as a stand alone track i think your tone rocks!!!!!!!!!

I know. I believe he used a Fender Princeton and an actual strat for that album. I had too much preamp gain going on to compensate for playing at low bedroom levels (4 sleeping kids at 11:30pm).

sounds good. Waiting for the Punchline is my favorite Extreme album, very underrated.

gibson5413 said:
Bourque said:

Yeah, I am still working on the mixing levels. I am a "noob" in terms of recording. I will keep working on it. Practice makes perfect.

You're right man.

Latest posts

Back