Expresss 5:50 Plus - Burn channel similar to?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkdawg

Reaction score
What other modern gain channel or amp would the burn channel on the 5:50 plus compare too? Something in the Mark series or more Recto? Neither?

More Mark series than anything else. You can get a Mark to sound like an Express burn channel.

The Express is nothing like a Recto at all as far as gain / od.

I had a Mark IV and an Express 5:50 at the same time and they sounded incredibly similar. The Mark IV had more gain and more tonal options though.... but the "texture" for lack of a better word... of the gain was the same. Mid heavy, non fizzy, dark, very fluid, etc.

I think I replied to your email earlier today...

The Express 5:50+ burn channel is really its own thing. The Express series comes from the DC and F-Series lineage, but the burn channel is somewhat darker and bluesier.

Thanks!

I was really hoping the burn channel would be good for modern rock stuff. I don't mean hard core metal. Do people use burn more for soloing and crunch for rhythm? I don't want to tap dance too much.

I've never had an F or DC so the reference doesn't help much.

Hey, man. There are actually a handful of really good demos on YouTube, plus a lot of not-so-great ones. If you have some good headphones and a fast internet connection, watch some videos in HD (sound improves drastically) to get a feel for some of the tones available. Boogie put out a pretty good demo, Rob Chapman has a good demo with Anderton's Music, and there's another great demo of a 5:50 by some guy who plays a Strat, Tele, and Les Paul through every mode on the amp. If you watch all of those, you'll have a great reference.

Better yet, go find one and try it with your guitar. Not everyone lives a reasonable distance away from a Boogie dealer, though. I know that I sure don't! :)

pkdawg said:
I was really hoping the burn channel would be good for modern rock stuff. I don't mean hard core metal. Do people use burn more for soloing and crunch for rhythm? I don't want to tap dance too much.

I've never had an F or DC so the reference doesn't help much.

It IS a modern distortion tone for sure - so are the Mark amps.
I have to use pedals to get classic marshall style distortion.
Burn channel is equally good for solo's & rhythm imo

Most of the clips I've heard are muddy, but I get the feeling most of that is user error. I'll go hunt one down. I'd love to be able to gig with this over a heavier Mark V which is my next step. I don't want a head/cab or the weight of the V combo. Wish they made a 50 watt V for weight reasons alone.

pkdawg said:
Most of the clips I've heard are muddy, but I get the feeling most of that is user error. I'll go hunt one down. I'd love to be able to gig with this over a heavier Mark V which is my next step. I don't want a head/cab or the weight of the V combo. Wish they made a 50 watt V for weight reasons alone.

If you're talking youtube clips then most of the reason for poor tones is the Youtube processing imo.
Nothing sounds great on youtube imo.
All highs & low clipped off and compressed to within an inch of its life :mrgreen:

You need to fully test these amps yourself with your own guitars.
And on the 5:50 always keep the bass dial under 11 oclock.

Newysurfer said:
If you're talking youtube clips then most of the reason for poor tones is the Youtube processing imo.
Nothing sounds great on youtube imo.
All highs & low clipped off and compressed to within an inch of its life

Which is, again, why I recommend the HD videos. They give a much truer sound, as opposed to the standard definition videos.

Back