Express w/ Nova System

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
I've got a T.C. Electronics Nova System en route, and I'm curious if any of you have experience with it. If so, what worked well for you and what didn't?

I'm super excited about this particular piece of gear, and I will definitely post a review of how it sounds with my 5:25 if there is any interest.

I can't tell you anything about the Nova system, but would love to hear about how you go with yours.

Well, it arrived today! It's far too early to give a full review, but my initial impressions are all positive. We live in an apartment, so by the time I cooked dinner for everybody it was too late to play through the amp. I discovered that I can plug a pair of headphones in the the output, though, so I got a feel for the quality of the effects.

Notes:
- This thing is a supreme value. I paid $438 on Amazon.com. If you buy a Nova Delay pedal, you're halfway to the Nova System!
- It's very easy to program the effects. If you're a fan of stomp boxes because they're easier to setup, this would be a great multi-effect for you. There are 4 knobs (technically rotary encoders) that you use to adjust the settings on all your effects. Couldn't be simpler!
- It's beautiful. There are LED rings around all 8 foot switches that glow a really cool orange color. It's impossible to read the labels for the switches in a dark room, so I'd recommend some glow-in-the-dark labels until you have the switches memorized.

****... for as cool as Australia seems, you need to get the hell out of there to buy musical gear. it's $500 new in the U.S. on http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NovaSystem/

I had the Nova System for a while and returned it. I thought the quality of the effects was absolutely fantastic. I've been through a LOT of multieffects processors, and nothing comes even close without spending 3x the money. HOWEVER, there was one fatal shortcoming IMO..... you can't use the 4CM with it. In other words, all of the effects have to run either before the input on the Express or all have to run in the effects loop. There is no way to put some before (such as overdrive) and some after (such as delay). For me, that was a dealbreaker despite the quality. If that aspect doesn't bother you, I agree that it's fantastic.

J.J said:
$438 :shock: Is that new ? We get to pay $1500 in Australia.

I am pretty sure it was new, but even if it isn't, it's flawless. Also, I think you're confusing the Nova System with the G-System. The G-System is $1500 in the states, too. :)

EtherealWidow said:
****... for as cool as Australia seems, you need to get the hell out of there to buy musical gear. it's $500 new in the U.S. on http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NovaSystem/

Yes, your not wrong ! I think a lot of the problem is that we have extra middle men here. Fender Australia is a good example. They buy from Fender USA who make their profit, next Fender Oz add on their profit and last the retailer bangs on a bit more. Thats also after our government takes import duty and sales tax.

Our Mesa importer has no excuse though as they are based in my town and we buy direct from them. A Mark 5 is $6500 RRP here and only about $2000 in the USA ? Must just be to many silly people paying the money here :lol:

A G system is priced a little better here RRP is only $2400 :mrgreen:

I have found some better prices for the Nova now.

Sorry for the off topic rant.

No dude that's not a rant. There's plenty of reason to talk that much. I'm thankful that here in the U.S. my Express was about $1400 with the nice vinyl and the wicker cane grill. In other countries the amp goes for like triple that for the stock model.

abetaque said:
I had the Nova System for a while and returned it. I thought the quality of the effects was absolutely fantastic. I've been through a LOT of multieffects processors, and nothing comes even close without spending 3x the money. HOWEVER, there was one fatal shortcoming IMO..... you can't use the 4CM with it. In other words, all of the effects have to run either before the input on the Express or all have to run in the effects loop. There is no way to put some before (such as overdrive) and some after (such as delay). For me, that was a dealbreaker despite the quality. If that aspect doesn't bother you, I agree that it's fantastic.

I will agree that being able to use the four cable method would be ideal, but (and please don't take personal offense to this) I am tired of reading people complain about that! I read so many reviews on this unit before I purchased it, and at least one person would comment about not being able to use the 4cm and how their Boss GT-8 was superior because they could hook it up that way!

The Nova System shines in front of a clean amp. If you prefer your amp's distortion, then bypass the drive and plug it into your effects loop. It's really quite simple. Even if you put the Nova System in the loop and decide to purchase another overdrive pedal, you're still getting a heck of a deal! The quality of the reverb, delay, and modulations is worth the price of this thing alone.

For those who aren't willing to settle for anything less than TC effects and can't live without the 4cm, they've got an awesome product called the G-System which again is a stellar value for what you actually get. For me (and my bank account, haha) the Nova System is the best option. :)

Exhale.

EtherealWidow said:

Well of course the smarter people here buy anything small enuf to ship from the US on the net.
In the past 5 yrs I've bought 3 guitars, 1 Egnater Head, 15 odd pedals, DI boxes, instrument switchers, strings, picks, PUP's & guitar parts all from the US. THe only thing I do in Aust stores is test stuff out and laugh at the prices they want. Then go shopping on the net. Probably saved myself $7000.

The only thing that is cheaper here are MI-Audio pedals - cause they're made in Melbourne
They make great pedals and they are very cheap here. :mrgreen:

Yep thats how to do it 8)

ifailedshapes said:
For those who aren't willing to settle for anything less than TC effects and can't live without the 4cm, they've got an awesome product called the G-System which again is a stellar value for what you actually get. For me (and my bank account, haha) the Nova System is the best option.

Totally with you on that. I have a GT-8 (that has had almost no use since I got the Express). I tried the 4cm thing and about the only tone I found that I would use was with the booster OD drive mode. Now, I occasionally use the GT-8 effects in the loop, but am not happy with the sound.

How much better are the Novas effects than the GT-8s ?

I have a very limited frame of reference with Boss products in general. I owned an ME-50 a few years ago, and I remember it sounding OK, but only OK. I have a Boss Phase Shifter (PS-3?) that has a couple unique sounds you can't get on any other pedal, but it sounds really thin. My dad owns a Pod, so I have a lot of experience with the effects on there, too. Oh, and I've demoed most Boss pedals at Guitar Centers, but that's not the same experience as actually owning, you know?

Anyway, in my experience, the Nova System has a warmth to it that has me gladly surprised. For example, I had come to terms that I wasn't going to like the phaser based on the reviews I'd read, but not only do I like it, I love it! I can get it to sound a lot like my Phase 90. Like I said, I use the Nova System running into my clean channel, so when playing clean, it sounds great. However, when I engage the drive circuit (which is analog and sounds really, really cool), the phaser comes afterward, and I much prefer the sound of a phaser in front of any dirt. (Haha, you'd never guess what my favorite modulation effect is, would you? I blame growing up listening to Incubus!)

I've only played it into my amp once, and I live in an apartment, so it was barely audible. It sounds really good, so far, though. I've been talking about getting this piece of gear for months. This isn't even my first thread on it. Because I am so stoked about it, I will keep updating this tread as I learn new things. :)

Oh, side note. I'm borrowing a 3/4 back 1x12 from my dad, and it sounds AWESOME with my little 5:25 sitting on top. I can't wait to try a Celestion Gold in my amp next. (Probably won't have funds for a while, but I've wanted one for about a year, and the most recent thread on it only makes me want one more!)

Cheers, guys.

J.J said:
Yep thats how to do it 8)

ifailedshapes said:
For those who aren't willing to settle for anything less than TC effects and can't live without the 4cm, they've got an awesome product called the G-System which again is a stellar value for what you actually get. For me (and my bank account, haha) the Nova System is the best option.

Totally with you on that. I have a GT-8 (that has had almost no use since I got the Express). I tried the 4cm thing and about the only tone I found that I would use was with the booster OD drive mode. Now, I occasionally use the GT-8 effects in the loop, but am not happy with the sound.

How much better are the Novas effects than the GT-8s ?

I have an old Gt-8 too which I only use as a backup up effects unit.
It's tones & effects are both inferior to my pedal board.
I've used a lot of these digital units.
On tone & effects quality the G-System and the Axe-FX are way ahead of the cheapies like Boss, Line6 and Digitec.
TC Electronics makes very high quality effects. My Nova Delay is the best delay pedal I've ever heard & the G System has similar quality.

I rate the Boss GT's a long way 3rd followed up by Tonelabs, Digitec GNX's, Zoom etc.
For effects quality and build quality the Line6 PODs come last on my list.
I wouldn't trust PODs to gig with.

The only problem I've heard with G systems is many reviewers report reliability issues with them
:mrgreen:

I'd be real interested to hear your review of the G system & how it combines with your 5:25

Thanks for that Newy. I have been avoiding multieffects since I got the GT-8 glad to hear it is not just me not liking it and that there are good alternatives that are affordable around. The GT-8 replaced a broken ME-10 which I still remember as sounding much better.

Really the 2 things that I really want are a good and versatile delay and a good Wah. Neither the Nova or the G have a Wah, so maybe I should just get a Nova delay and a Fulltone Clyde instead.

Newysurfer said:
I'd be real interested to hear your review of the G system & how it combines with your 5:25

So would I! If you notice the title of this thread, I have the Nova System.

J.J said:
Really the 2 things that I really want are a good and versatile delay and a good Wah. Neither the Nova or the G have a Wah, so maybe I should just get a Nova delay and a Fulltone Clyde instead.

The G-System has a filter section that includes a wah. Some like it, others don't. I've never played one with an expression pedal, so I don't have an opinion.

J.J said:
Thanks for that Newy. I have been avoiding multieffects since I got the GT-8 glad to hear it is not just me not liking it and that there are good alternatives that are affordable around. The GT-8 replaced a broken ME-10 which I still remember as sounding much better.

I'm a big fan of the Nova delay.
Got one on Ebay from the US for A$250. They're $450 in Aust.

There's a lot of good wahs around these days.
I used to own the classic Dunlop Crybaby but I have these 2 wah pedals now

http://www.morleypedals.com/dvai-2.html

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=391

I prefer the Bad Horsie myself partly cause to turn it on you just step on it.
Release foot and it springs back to off position.
So you always have instant wah.
I got a used one from the US on Ebay for $80
The Clyde is excellent too :mrgreen:

Newysurfer said:
ifailedshapes said:
Newysurfer said:

So would I! If you notice the title of this thread, I have the Nova System.

Well how about a review of that too :mrgreen:

Haha, I need to get more time with it. I've already had it for almost a week, but I've only really been able to plug in once.

Latest posts

Back