express series reliability issues?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I actually forgot that I started this thread, wasn't trying to be fishy at all.

I had just noticed in my experience that the express amps had tended to have problems, fresh out of box or otherwise, and I was wondering if anyone else had seen that, or if it was just a fluke of luck.

I can say that in the last four or five months, I haven't actually seen a single Mesa product come back with issues, but for at least five or six months before that, I had seen at least a half dozen or more come back that needed to be shipped out for repair, not just ones that had been on the floor, but fresh in box ones special ordered as replacements for ones that had problems. And then, for the several years before THAT, I hadn't seen any Mesas need repair either. It was only that several month period when we were moving a significant number of the Express amps that I was seeing a lot of them come back busted.

Unfortunately we never actually saw the repair bills from the warranty station, so I don't know what the problems were, other than one that the guy told me had blown a capacitor on the mainboard (that one actually started smoking when it was first turned on), so it could have been tubes or something else. That's the reason why I started the thread in the first place, I was wondering if it was just some quirk or if those amps had actually had some kind of problem. It seems like some people have actually seen similar problems, so perhaps they did actually have a bad run of them for a while, I don't know.

Anyway, in terms of the actual problems that I had seen with them... sometimes they just had no output , and sometimes they would sound good until you turned them up, at which point if you hit a louder note, they'd fart out/go into blocking distortion, or start squealing or motorboating extremely loudly...

So, yeah, no agenda, just curiosity and forgetfulness. I actually was mostly wondering because if you look at all the techniques and technology Mesa uses to make a solid, reliable amp, it was always surprising to me to see a significant number of them come back. And, whatever the problem is, it seems to have been rectified as well, and now that we're seeing the newer amps like the Mark V's and the Electra Dyne's, the reliability level has remained at a very high level. And no Mesa bashing either; I own a mesa half-stack and I'm loving it.

That doesn't sound so bad, now you have filled in the details a bit more. I was starting to worry that now I have finally found my perfect amp that it may turn into a smoldering mess and I'd have to start over again.

J.J said:
That doesn't sound so bad, now you have filled in the details a bit more. I was starting to worry that now I have finally found my perfect amp that it may turn into a smoldering mess and I'd have to start over again.
Ha. You're telling me, friend! I just put down $450 for a custom one and this thread had me freaking out that I'd be waiting like 9 more weeks for a junker!

witeshade said:
Honestly I actually forgot that I started this thread, wasn't trying to be fishy at all.

I had just noticed in my experience that the express amps had tended to have problems, fresh out of box or otherwise, and I was wondering if anyone else had seen that, or if it was just a fluke of luck.

I can say that in the last four or five months, I haven't actually seen a single Mesa product come back with issues, but for at least five or six months before that, I had seen at least a half dozen or more come back that needed to be shipped out for repair, not just ones that had been on the floor, but fresh in box ones special ordered as replacements for ones that had problems. And then, for the several years before THAT, I hadn't seen any Mesas need repair either. It was only that several month period when we were moving a significant number of the Express amps that I was seeing a lot of them come back busted.

Unfortunately we never actually saw the repair bills from the warranty station, so I don't know what the problems were, other than one that the guy told me had blown a capacitor on the mainboard (that one actually started smoking when it was first turned on), so it could have been tubes or something else. That's the reason why I started the thread in the first place, I was wondering if it was just some quirk or if those amps had actually had some kind of problem. It seems like some people have actually seen similar problems, so perhaps they did actually have a bad run of them for a while, I don't know.

Anyway, in terms of the actual problems that I had seen with them... sometimes they just had no output , and sometimes they would sound good until you turned them up, at which point if you hit a louder note, they'd fart out/go into blocking distortion, or start squealing or motorboating extremely loudly...

So, yeah, no agenda, just curiosity and forgetfulness. I actually was mostly wondering because if you look at all the techniques and technology Mesa uses to make a solid, reliable amp, it was always surprising to me to see a significant number of them come back. And, whatever the problem is, it seems to have been rectified as well, and now that we're seeing the newer amps like the Mark V's and the Electra Dyne's, the reliability level has remained at a very high level. And no Mesa bashing either; I own a mesa half-stack and I'm loving it.

Sounds like an excellent reliability record to me for any tube amp maker.
You wanna see crap build quality ..go check the Line 6 forum hehehehehe :mrgreen:

The Express arrived from Westside on Friday to the shop and was dead. Westside sent some valves to the shop and it came alive, I took it home on Sat. I noticed a buzz that happens with every note, not like a glassy valve vibration but like a fly buzzing, I took the amp outside in the garden where nothing else could vibrate, the sound of the buzz was just as bad. I use clean sounds and fingerpick, it sounds like a duet with a wasp, people who use gain wouldn't notice it.
I have told the shop I'm not happy but they can't send it back because Westside will say theres nothing wrong with it and amps vibrate, I didn't get this with either of the 2 F50's I had though.
Its almost impossible to point it out in the shop because everything is vibrating in the shop, all the other amps and heads and metal grills, etc.
What can I do, the amps here cost TWICE the USA price, an Express 5.50 is over £1600 here thats over $2,540 USD and I don't think its acceptable.

It's ironic that I just found this topic on the Board - I just picked up my 5:50 2x12 up from my amp tech this afternoon after having repairs done to it!

I bought the amp almost 2 years ago - within 2 months it was dead (needed new power tubes). I haven't used it much (maybe 20-30 hours since the tube change), and a couple of weeks ago thought I'd hook it up to a new mfx unit that I'd bought and see how it sounded. Within an hour the gain channel no longer had any gain (it sounded like a sick clean channel), so off to the amp tech it went. Turns out it had a bad treble pot. And, while he was working on the amp, he found some solder flash that would intermittently short out a couple of pins on V2. Then he discovered that the power tubes (which, as I mentioned, only had about 20-30 hours of use on them) were noisy and needed to be replaced.

My amp tech, who is an authorized Mesa Boogie repair facility, said that he was surprised at the collection of problems that my amp had - highly unusual in his experience. AND I HAVEN'T PAID A DIME FOR ANY OF THE REPAIRS - MESA BOOGIE STOOD BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT AND REPAIRED IT UNDER WARRANTY, EVEN REPLACED THE POWER TUBES LONG AFTER THE 6 MONTH WARRANTY ON THEM!

So I've got the amp back now, had it on for about 5 hours straight with no problems - and hopefully, it will stay that way.

Oh, and this amp was purchased from Guitar Center - but, other than possibly the original power tube problem (maybe due to in-store abuse), none of the problems I've had can be blamed on them.

I keep reading about this guitar Centre, So I looked up their website, I see they have got about 60 shops across the USA. We don't have any chains here, each shop is an independant business apart from sometimes a shop might have a couple of other branches. I quite like each shop being single because you deal with the owner who makes his own decisions, theres no head office policies where the shop people say they can't do anything to help after a problem. You can asked for a better deal with the owner, if its a big chain they have to work to the company guidelines. Also a small independant shop is more likely to want to keep you a loyal customer. Chains know its no big deal if one person isn't happy because they have got a big business.

Latest posts

Back