express series reliability issues?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witeshade

Reaction score
I work for a music store that's an authorized Mesa Boogie dealer. I've noticed over the last six or eight months that we've had a reasonably large number of the various Express series amps come back broken and needing to be fixed. They've all been under warranty so it's been okay, but still...

The most common problem is them starting to cut out and then devolve into loud buzzing and oscillation at higher volumes, tube changes not seeming to make any difference.

One amp smoked after a capacitor on the mainboard blew out...

Others tend to just get intermittent or lose volume.

Changing tubes out sometimes helps them, but most of the time the issue is with the circuit somehow.

Anyway, have any of you guys come across issues like this? At first I thought it was just occasional glitches, but I've seen a reasonable number of them coming back, especially considering the price and how often they get sold.

Just curious!

Hey witeshade,

Mine went back, bought mine in Australia, so it's probably an older model. 1 x 10" 5 25.

I had the contour stuck on permanently, and a loud rumble (like a octivda set to 1 or 2 octive below my note) through the clean and dirty.

We will see how the new one fairs.

That's why I use a Boss GT8 for effects, if the amp dies, I can at least finish the gig.

Thanks,

Gezza.

I've been thrashing my Express 5:50 1 x 12 for over a year now with only one issue- The Accutronics reverb tank had to be replaced under warranty. A local authorized tech (15 minutes from my house!) and Mesa Engineering handled it quickly.

I've had my 5:50 since Feb 2007 and have had no problems with it. Great amp, I love it!

Cheers,

Richt :)

I bought a used 5:25 10" and it is just a wonderful amp. This amp is no differecnt than a new one only less money and no tax. I even got a amp and mic stand for N/C.

I find it to be great when playing at home, without the sideways looks from the family, and also on stage.
For me it is the right size to carry and provides, at the 5watt setting, the right amount of volume when mic'd. I bought a Sennhieser E609 microphone that works just fantastic and does not color the sound at all and just run at 5 watts.

The only time I have run at the full wattage is at home just to see what would happen.
Can't be happier with my express and when I have the extra cash I am going to buy the matching cabinet.

Nubbs

Mine had a bad power tube right off the bat. When I first starting hearing the low rumble, I thought it was the speaker. Pulled the speaker and found two dang holes in it. Put in a Weber Blue Pup (against the advice of the dealer.) But it still grumbled. Put in a couple of Groove Tubes power tubes in....voila! Been working fine ever since. Did kinda leave a bad taste in my mouth though. Hard to imagine that whoever stuck the speaker in there wouldn't have noticed two holes. I've had to wiggle the footswitch wire up in the amp a couple of times too to get power to them. I'm afraid I'll have to deal with that one day.

But I'm still pleased with the little beast. It does just what I need.

witeshade said:
I work for a music store that's an authorized Mesa Boogie dealer. I've noticed over the last six or eight months that we've had a reasonably large number of the various Express series amps come back broken and needing to be fixed. They've all been under warranty so it's been okay, but still...

The most common problem is them starting to cut out and then devolve into loud buzzing and oscillation at higher volumes, tube changes not seeming to make any difference.

Changing tubes out sometimes helps them, but most of the time the issue is with the circuit somehow.

Anyway, have any of you guys come across issues like this? At first I thought it was just occasional glitches, but I've seen a reasonable number of them coming back, especially considering the price and how often they get sold.

Just curious!

No prob's with my 5:50 so far Witeshade but that's interesting to hear.
Where is your store located ?
And is it the 5:25 or the 5:50 that seems to be returned most often for repair ?

I had to replace the power tubes in mine as soon as I got home. I also hate the way the footswitch jack is placed "up in there" where I cant see it. It's almost impossible to get that plug in that jack without standing directly behind the amp and tilting the amp forward.

Other than that, great little amp so far. I've tried about 6 different speakers in it, and settled on the EV Force 10 as my fav. I love the contour control, although it doesn't seem to have quite the same impact as the older contour knobs on the Subway and F series amps. That Subway Rocket was an awesome little beast. I replaced it with the Express just so I could get rid of the repair and reliability issues I had with a used amp. So far my Express has been fine.......

I bought a used 5:25 head and so far (knock on wood) it's been working fine. I gigged with it once with no problem.

witeshade: I am very interested in any light you can shed on intermittent complete loss of volume on a 5:25 express combo. it is not the power section or tubes. it behaves somewhat like an oscillation, in that any circuit disturbance like probing the plate voltage brings it back to life, but then after a few minutes it cuts out again.

I too am wondering if anyone has gotten the intermittent/cutting out issue dealt with by a trip to a good amp tech or music store?

My 5:25 is currently in the shop with a problem so mysterious they had to return the chassis to Mesa to figure out what's wrong. I bought it used from a fellow that bought it off the floor at Guitar Center less than a year ago . . .

My problem was crackling in both channels. Shortly before I took it in, it started to "pop" periodically, pretty loudly. I replaced all the tubes with no effect.

I'm pretty bummed - been without the amp for about a month now and I really miss it . . .

To StevenL - how do you like the blue pup? I've been thinking about replacing the speaker with something a little more "chimey"

mlabbee said:
To StevenL - how do you like the blue pup? I've been thinking about replacing the speaker with something a little more "chimey"

I really like the pup. However, if I ONLY used the amp by itself, with no external cabs, I think I'd put a higher wattage speaker in to get some more headroom, and maybe go with an alnico magnet. It just starts screaming with very little juice from the master. Completely different sound from the 12" Blue Dog (alnico) (got a ceramic pup). Used together, the 10" overpowers the 12" dog. But DANG what some nice clangy chimey sounds. The dog is smoother, less trebly, bigger bottom end of course. The pup is more middy, trebly, tear-off-your-face....and the amp by itself is very focused and directional. Probably would do very nicely mic'd with a band. I've used the pup with different external cabs, the 1X12 Dog, a big 6X10 Yamaha cab, a 4 ohm 4X10 Peavey cab (wow!) and then bypassing the pup with only externals. Soundchaser's got me wanted to try a 15" Dog. Different character with each combination. I've been impressed. Incredible variations. I LOVE the sound with the pup and the 4 ohm 4X10....the clean channel breaks up just right and screams. Going today in just a while to spend the afternoon with a buddy (who owns the 4X10), little JD, six pack or two...... rockin'. Life is good.

thanks for the info - I can't wait to get my amp back. I just refurbed an old Peavey 2x10 cab (it's ported, so it may be an old bass cab). I put some ceramic Jensens in and it sounds incredible with a buddy's Fender Champ 600. I can't wait to try the Express through it . . .

You've got me gassing for a blue dog now . . .

The big pattern I'm noticing with repair issues on these amps is almost every one of them came from Guitar Center.......

It's not just Mesa. By far the vast majority of repair issues with most amps I read about on the forums, they almost always come from Guitar Center.

I hate that place. I only go to GC if they are the only store that has what I NEED, and I need it right this minute or else......

Yeah, unless the amp is used and you get a deal, NEVER buy a floor model. I've seen the way people treat those amps, hell before I knew any better I did the same myself.

Hey Gang,

I think that it's weird that someone starts a topic about amp problems, claims to be from a Music shop, then doesn't make any more posts.

Sounds very fishy to me.!!!!!!!!!

Let me tell you all, there are no perfect amps in the world, because at some point, a human has touch some part of the amp, so you have room for human error.

I had a Marshall JVM410C and at the JVM Forum there were lots of problems there too. As soon as someone says, "My amp has got all these problems, my amp is ****", we all start looking for them, So it will happen.

If you don't have any problems, then you are the lucky. If you, do get it fixed.

Just my 2 cents for the day,

Cheers,

Gezza.

gezza said:
Hey Gang,

I think that it's weird that someone starts a topic about amp problems, claims to be from a Music shop, then doesn't make any more posts.

Sounds very fishy to me.!!!!!!!!!

Gezza.

+1 Gezza
I was thinkin the same thing too :mrgreen:

witeshade said:

Just curious!

So why did you sign up here just to make 1 post about amp problems, then say no mo? I've never heard of anybody reporting those kinds of problems with Mesa amps, except for you, and you say it happens to a lot of them. None of the dealers around here where I live have ever had a Mesa amp come back for warranty repair. In fact, they dont like selling Mesa because people buy them and then they never come back again for ANY other amp.

You have to admit, it looks fishy, just like the guy above says. Either you have an agenda, or you are posing.....

After re-reading your lone post, I gather you work at Guitar Center, then? Guitar Center seems to be the only place that routinely destroys amps before they even go out the door......

Latest posts

Back