Express series as far as power amp overdrive

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
I was wondering how the express series did with power amp overdrive. Anyone cranking them or using a hotplate with them?

I cranked mine a few times. (Quit using a hot plate or attenuator, didn't like what it did to the tone) I definitely got that Allman Brothers clean sustain going on. I also added a clean boost in the loop a few times. It would become more gritty and more driven, you could kinda hear the compression sound that people talk about, but it was definitely not that fizzy buzzy kind of distortion you hear from the preamp being driven.

I did this also with my Subway Rocket, and it was a very enlightening experience. It is very exhilarating for a guitar player who has never felt that kind of sound before. It was super cool the first time I did it with a real Fender amp.

If you have the 1x10 with a stock speaker, just be aware that it will probably sound like crap with that E50 in there. You really need a top shelf speaker replacement if you plan on running your amp like that on a regular basis. I had a Weber California in mine the first time, also have tried it with Weber Texas and Tone Tubby. The Subway had a Weber Michigan in it when I did it on that amp. Also, plan on experimenting with 5751 tubes in the first four V slots. It really smooths out a lot when you tame the gain inside. Put a lower gain tube in the PI slot like an ECC82/12AU7 and you will start to get goose bumps when you run full power. It won't be quite as loud, but the tone is like butter.

I've only tried mine on the 5 watt setting and really like the power tube overdrive. Using the clean channel I was able to get some great Albert Collins tones going. I have been unable to get that tone otherwsie. It's difficult to describe the exact sound of power tube overdrive, but as Soundchaser has said it is not fizzy or buzzy like pre amp tube overdrive. To me it sounds like a kind of "haze" has been added to the tone.

If you turn the master up to far you will start to hear what is called blocking distorsion. That kind of distorsion sounds like crap and is characterised by loss of volume until the amps bias recovers (less than 1 second). The Express appears to have been designed such that blocking distorsion occurs very late, and past the point of best tone.

primal said:
I was wondering how the express series did with power amp overdrive. Anyone cranking them or using a hotplate with them?

ah which Express - you'll get 2 very different results with the 5:25 and the 5:50.
Plus what exactly do you mean by "power amp overdrive" ?

As far as the clean mode goes I have to run the master up high all the time and use a boost to get enough volume anyway whether I want power amp clip or not.
The 3 overdrive modes have got the usual tons of volume like every other but the clean mode is about 10 times quieter at least, so as I use mostly use clean and fingerpick I am always really pi''ed off at the lack of volume on the clean mode on amps. The Mesa amps are the same, enough overdrive volume to kill an elephant but not enough clean volume for a gig without using a boost.
I find that the master volume on both the F50 and 5.50 does next to nothing past 2 o clock, I usually have to use an E.Q. pedal as a clean boost to play with an UNmiked drummer which I think is stupid because on the clean mode the best sounds are with both the gain and master on half, but back the mid off and you're only in bedroom volume territory.
Using the other modes can blow the windows out, the cleans are soooooo quiet on these amps.

J.J said:
If you turn the master up to far you will start to hear what is called blocking distorsion. That kind of distorsion sounds like crap and is characterised by loss of volume until the amps bias recovers (less than 1 second). The Express appears to have been designed such that blocking distorsion occurs very late, and past the point of best tone.

I don't know if I've heard that or not, since the only amps I've done this with are 2 or 3 Mesas and 2 or 3 (old, "real") Fenders. But I have noticed that the tone is not as *inspiring* if I crank it 100%. If I back the master off to about 2-3 o'clock (3 o'clock is what I refer to as 80%) then it is about the best compromise between loud clean tone and low noise. 100% master seems to suddenly give me a bunch more noise.

I'd guess that the slightly lower gain pre tubes you use may be enough to prevent it occuring on your amp (you'd know it was happening if you heard it). To make it happen you need to push the grid voltage on the power tubes to zero or slightly above. Once grid volage gets to about 0 volts it starts to draw a lot of current from its driver stage. This current then upsets the bias and efectively shuts the tube off. The time to recover depends mainly on how much drive current the driver can provide and the value of the coupling cap.

I have to fully agree about best tone being around 80%

On my amp on the clean channel, if I put the master up full and the pre amp around 11:00 I can cause the blocking distorsion with a strat with medium output pickups (amp in 5 watt mode). I am using all stock tubes, except for V1 and V2 which I have the Tungsols in.

The first time I did it I thought somthing had gone wrong with a tube or the amp. Come to think of it, I have had my Fender Bjr dimed and it did not do it.

I have owned the 5:50 for almost 2 years now. When
I jam with my band, I usually have the master at about
11 o'clock with the gain anywhere from 11 to 1 o'clock.
The 5:50 DEFINATELY sounds better with the MASTER
up HIGH. It sounds warmer and has a nicer tone. This
is true in the clean channel. The BLUES channel also
sounds better and has more low end (which it definately
lacks).

Latest posts

Back