Express 50/5 watt power tube change result

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnyb

Reaction score
Hi fellow tone Tragics,

Just a report, as usually I'm the pest asking questions and picking other member's brains !

After over a year of experimenting, with help from other members like newrysurfer and gadgetfreak, I have found a great combination of tubes for this amp, to my ear that is.

You may like it too, as it noticeably tightens up the 'burn' mode for solos and makes the' blues' mode really growl. Pity these are not foot switchable. But I guess it would not be difficult to have one wired in.

The clean channel really sparkles in 'clean', (mind you, it was very good before) but with the blues setting sounding so good now, I doubt whether I will use the 'crunch' mode very often now.

The big difference came when I changed the 2 x 6L6 power tubes to Winged C s. Worth the extra dollars, hands down.

In the pre amp I have settled on :
V1: Tungsol 12AX7
V2: JJECC83S
V3: JJECC83S high gain
V4: Sovtek LPS balanced 12AX7
V5: Sovtek LPS 12AX7

I have tried Jan 5751(balanced for V4), Electro Harmonix and Mullard in other places, with the Jan not living up to expectations when in the V4 position. None of these tubes sounded bad, but at this stage they are in the spares case.

Anyway, I can tell you, its hard to put my guitars down now with the sound of this amp, which Ive owned since new 2008.

Cheers to All.

A great help to get going in the right direction. And Newysurfer, my band is down your way September 13-15 I believe, and I will have the amp of course. You may just hear it !

donnyb said:
A great help to get going in the right direction. And Newysurfer, my band is down your way September 13-15 I believe, and I will have the amp of course. You may just hear it !

Great Donny - PM the gig details plz :mrgreen:

Hey Bottle Rocket, I'm new the board..my express 550 is 14 months old and I recently blew the fuse at a live gig. Turned out 1 of the 6l6 power tubes died. I went and got a matched pair of the exact type that came in the amp the Mesa branded 10 AC Yellow from Long and Mquade..now my amp has NO real clean like it did..the channel has a tiny bit of dirt in it and its driving me nuts. I loved the sound my amp had and want it back. Help please?

Dale Expressed,

Hi and welcome. Does the amp do exactly the same thing in both the 5 watt and 50 watt mode?

Back