Express 5:50 Plus combo to head conversion?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadjet

Reaction score
I just bought a 5:50 Plus 1x12 combo.. I like it well enough but would like to just use a head with my 1x12 widebody ported cab. I probably should have just gotten the head version in the first place. Anyone know approx. how much Mesa charges for a headshell for the Express series?

A bunch! :)
Call em up and they'll tell you. BTW, the LS head also works with the Express am ...in case you find one used. FWIW, I had a chance to buy a used head shell for my 525 and blew it as I was short on cash. I now kick myself as they almost never come up used. If you see one, grab it. Otherwise, pony up dearly for a new one from Mesa.

Edward

FWIW, a MKIIC long chassis head cab will also fit very nicely. You'll have to drill new holes on top, but it worked. A little retolexing, and you're set.

pusher

Did mine about two months ago, it was right at $300.00 with the new reverb pan. Slid the chassis out of the combo and right into the new cabinet, fit like a glove. Cabinet was very high quality like all things Mesa. For me it was worth the money, and it quieted some tube rattle as an additional benefit.

Should have read your post more carefully. Mine is a 5:50 Express, not an Express plus. Not sure if the chassis is the same.
Apologies :oops:

Sorry for the delay, crisis at work has had me tied up.
I bought it directly from customer service. Just told them which chassis I had and they were happy to take my order. Even gave me a choice as to which logo I wanted on the grille.
If I remember right, it took them about 3 weeks from order to delivery. Slid the amp out of the combo and right into the head cab, fit light a glove.

Hope this helps.
Larry

lbrusso said:
Sorry for the delay, crisis at work has had me tied up.
I bought it directly from customer service. Just told them which chassis I had and they were happy to take my order. Even gave me a choice as to which logo I wanted on the grille.
If I remember right, it took them about 3 weeks from order to delivery. Slid the amp out of the combo and right into the head cab, fit light a glove.

Hope this helps.
Larry

Awesome - thanks! I may end up re-cabbing my 5:50 and 5:25 so I can use either or both at gigs rather than lugging around 2 combos.

lbrusso said:
Should have read your post more carefully. Mine is a 5:50 Express, not an Express plus. Not sure if the chassis is the same.
Apologies :oops:

At least for the 5:25, the chassis is the same size-per Mesa. I would think the same is true for the 5:50, but I don't know that.

TW

Latest posts

Back