Express 5:50: more suitable for pop??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumetas

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm trying to make up my mind b/w the F50 and the 5:50. Thought you could help.

I play fairly soft stuff like late-beatles, some blues with a touch of jazz and, eventually, something harder but nothing to do with metal, gothic o anything of the sort. Think more of Led Zep, Danko Jones....

I was wondering which of those amps would be more suitable for the job. I've tried the F50 and I think it's a brilliant amp, although it might be too much for my needs -contour channel wise-, and also I don't quite like the reverb feature. I haven't had the chance to try the 5:50 yet, but based on what I've read, it looks as though it's closer to what I need. Something with a good clean sound, tube driven reverb and those 5w class A distorsion.

I'm gonna use the amp mainly for recording at home (hardly for gigging) and also, please bear in mind that I will be playing only through a Gibson LP Standard.

I'd really like to hear the owner's opinion, especially of those who play a similar style as I do.

Thanks a lot guys, you've always been very helpful.

I have read every review I can fin on this amp. I have asked some reviewers questions about what and how they tried it. I have also talked to every Mesa dealer in the state.

The metal harder guys give it not so great reviews mostly based off F series experiences.

The dealers that have them say about the same thing for heavey sounds, but to me that is a good thing. As they all have said, but the clean, lower gain, countor{s}, and reverb sounds are great in both 5w and 50w mode.

A couple retailers you could tell that they just wanted to tell me what ever I wanted to hear. While others seamed to know. More so the dealer in St.Petersberg that is Mesa, Rivera, & Bogner dealer. He knows his **** and spent 15mins with me on the phone....

I'll be tring one within the next couple weeks. I know who has them and who has them on order. Guitar Center has them on order, but has no idea when they are due in.... Guitar has no clue!!!!!
Support you local store....

I own the express 5:50 and think it would suit your needs better than the F-50, but be aware for home recording there is NO silent spkr./recording out jack on the express, so you'll have to mike the speaker to record at home...could be a problem for some folks, just an FYI.[/b]

Gregadeth said:
I own the express 5:50 and think it would suit your needs better than the F-50, but be aware for home recording there is NO silent spkr./recording out jack on the express, so you'll have to mike the speaker to record at home...could be a problem for some folks, just an FYI.[/b]

Personally, I wouldn't let that stop you. I have an F-30 and IMO the silent recording feature on the F-series is okay for late night headphone practice, but I'd never commit anything to tape with it -- it just doesn't sound very good.

D7

Fumetas, with the type of music that you've mentioned, I would lean toward the 5:50. Both will do what you're wanting to do, however, I think that the 5:50 would be better voiced for those tones.

I agree, I think the 5:50 would be a better fit for you. It wasn't for me as I preferred the F-50, but different strokes!

If you like the LSC cleans, then you will prefer the 5:50 as it sounds very much like it.

I had the F-50 and sold it once I auditioned the 5:50. It has everything the F-50 has and more (better cleans, reverb) and has just as much gain available; I can't imagine needing more...unless you're trying to hide behind it. :shock:

Thanks a lot guys. You seem to confirm what I've read about this amps.

However, it won't be until next week when I have the chance to try the 5:50, but I can't wait to test it and see it for myself.

Please feel free to leave any more comments on this amps.

Cheers!

Back