Express 5:50 mod; Logarithmic master volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoranS

Reaction score
Just a thought. Have anyone tried?

I'm having trouble dialing in a decent low volume setting. The master volumes is going from zero to quite loud in about one or two millimeters from where the potentiometer taper leaves the left position end stop.

Clearly the master volumes is linear potentiometers and so are the reverb pots, and I'm thinking of changing at least the master pots to logarithmic (audio) potentiometers to be able to work them properly at the low volume end.

Any thoughts? Values?

I would also like to know who manufactures the Mesa pots. I would like to install pots of similar quality.

/GoranS

The channel 1 master pot is linear, the channel 2 master pot is audio taper. I like them both a lot. The reverb pots are both linear.

GoranS said:
Just a thought. Have anyone tried?

I'm having trouble dialing in a decent low volume setting. The master volumes is going from zero to quite loud in about one or two millimeters from where the potentiometer taper leaves the left position end stop.

Clearly the master volumes is linear potentiometers and so are the reverb pots, and I'm thinking of changing at least the master pots to logarithmic (audio) potentiometers to be able to work them properly at the low volume end.

Any thoughts? Values?

I would also like to know who manufactures the Mesa pots. I would like to install pots of similar quality.

/GoranS

I think you should mod it and report the results :mrgreen:

I had a similar problem finding the right volume setting at very low volume.
My answer was a kind of attenuator adaptor by putting a voltage divider into
a patch cable that takes the overall level 12db down. this cable is put into the efx loop.
It works fine, just thought about an extra master volume pot at the same place...

Cool!
I've had similar ideas, that way no modification to the amp is necessary.
Might try it out!

Yes, it can be a bit tricky to get the volume right. I just stand a bit further/closer and be done with it. Was happy to get inside my Blues junior and hack away (and it did need some hacking :roll: ) , but I'd need a better reason to modify the Express than this.

Latest posts

Back