Express 5:50 I can't get enough power

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 5:25 and even when I am gigging (and I am not mic'd) I never get the gain past 10 o'clock and the master past 9 o'clock.

We play modern rock, classic rock, loud rock....

However, we get a bunch of bookings because we are not a "loud" band.

Turn it down. You only have one set of ears....

OR

You do definitely have a problem with the amp...

Crank the mids and it will cut through like a knife....

All I know is that my LSC is way way way too loud. To really open it up i need the master above noon, and let me tell you, the **** thing is kill your children loud. too loud. I have the old 50/100 version, and even at 50 watts the grill cloth does some serious acrobatics when I hit a power chord.

I agree with richt. I find my 5:50 PLENTY LOUD. I play in
a band with 2 other guitars, a bassist, singer and a drummer.
My 5:50 up around 10 - 11 oclock is enough to keep up.
:?

As I said before, the treble control acts as another volume knob after 13:00 and makes a significant difference in presence and volume levels. It also seems to give more 'bounce' to the sound on the clean channel - similar to a good Fender amp.

Cranking the treble in Crunch, Blues and Burn modes gives a noticable increase in gain as well, so players of heavier styles might consider giving this a try before cranking the gain knob all the way.

yes but thats why you bought them right? if you werent comfortable wearing on tubes then buy a solid state amp haha

you should embrace the "not as loudness". once you crank up the master, it really heats up the power tubes which is the entire point of buying a tube amp. you may not have as much headroom but cranking a tube amp is different from cranking a solid state amp.

a solid state amp gets worse the louder it is and a tube amp is just the opposite!

I have an F-50 that had the stock Black Shadow speaker. The amp sounded good but seemed to have more of a bottom end tone to it, almost like there was a blanket in front of the speaker. I swapped out the speaker with a Celestion Classic Lead 80. Amp sounds A LOT better now. Tighter lows and more mids. Sounds & cuts through like my Marshall JCM800 combo.

1. Amplifying the BASS frequencies takes up most of the power of an amp.

2. An amp that sounds full with a lotta chugga chugga at the bottom end won't cut through the mix in a band setting.

3. Its all about strong treble and mids in a band setting.

4. I don't love the MC90 speaker in a band situation. It doesn't mic up particularly well. Not like a Blues Deluxe, for example.

Latest posts

Back