Express 5:50 and OD pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ-Nick

Reaction score
can any one share their experience with the 5:50 and OD pedals? Lets say the TS808 family. How do they react? sound quality?
Thanks
Nick

Hey Nick, I have a TS9 that I use with my 5:50 and it is a great compliment to the clean channel for an extra tone. Because of the mid-range emphasis it pushes the sound out front just perfectly for solo/lead lines. I also use a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube classic which is also great! The rhythm channel on that is classic creamy crunch, while the lead channel just sings beautifully. So, with those pedals and the two channels of the amp, I have 5 sounds to choose from, and it it works out beautifully!

Cheers,

Richt :D

richt said:
Hey Nick, I have a TS9 that I use with my 5:50 and it is a great compliment to the clean channel for an extra tone. Because of the mid-range emphasis it pushes the sound out front just perfectly for solo/lead lines. I also use a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube classic which is also great! The rhythm channel on that is classic creamy crunch, while the lead channel just sings beautifully. So, with those pedals and the two channels of the amp, I have 5 sounds to choose from, and it it works out beautifully!

Cheers,

Richt :D

This a great topic for discussion. I have a 5:50 and I'm not what, if any pedals, I would need. Last week I played a Duncan Twin Tube at the store while A/B with the crunch side of a 5:25 in Class "A" mode. To me, the Mesa crunch channel how better umph than the Duncan. That's not to say that the Duncan is not a good, maybe great, pedal. It's just the channels on the Mesa sound really good to me.

For the rest of the effects, my G-system just rocks.

My thoughts have been more on only having two channels for a given song (if you are playing live). I've been thinking a Fulltone Fat Boost might be a good way to get essentially a 3-channel set-up on a 2-channel amp.

Cheers,

Kevin

i have a 5:50 1x12 and on the clean channel all pedals I have tried sound fantastic. i use the blues setting on channel 2 and the same pedals sound good and get it done but i love the clean channels with pedals. The big thing I'm finding is running a MXR micro amp pedal into the clean channel with my guitar volume at around 6 and the gain on the clean channel at 2 o'clock. I can get everything i need just riding the guitar volume. I love the TS9 but I'm trying to raise cash for an Xotic BB preamp pedal, my freind turned me on to that one and it works great for what i want but it's a lot of cas($185 new). Express is the bigest sounding 1x12 I have ever played and I also had a widebody MKIV. The contour botton used jusyt alittle(say 9o'clock) on the clean channel sounds like the loudness button on a car stereo, makes the 1x12 sound even fatter cool amp!

"My thoughts have been more on only having two channels for a given song (if you are playing live). I've been thinking a Fulltone Fat Boost might be a good way to get essentially a 3-channel set-up on a 2-channel amp.

Cheers,

Kevin"

thanks this is exactly what I would want to accomplish !!!!
Nick

one more od pedal that sounds great with the 5:50 is the digitech Bad Monkey $45 new and really nice pedal, buy two! I had the fulltone and it's nice but expensive and I didn't like the set up of the switching. you have to turn it on and then with the other fotswitch you toggle through your two settings. i like the Visual sound set up better with a button for each sound off or on or step on both to use both at the same time. VS pedals are great and affordable. I'm using the rout 66 pedal and have the jekyll and hyde pedal too all these work greast with the express but i'm really into using a boost on the clean channel.

For what its worth, I own a 5:50 1x12 and occasionally use a Seymour Duncan "pickup booster" pedal set between 6 and 16 db, sometimes followed by an Ernie Ball VP JR volume pedal. This isn't an OD pedal per se, but it pushes the amp nicely. Its more of a subtle sound. Occasionally I put an old Boss EQ pedal in front of the amp or in the effects loop. (You'd be surprised at what you can do with just an EQ pedal)

If I was to run an OD pedal in front of the amp, I'd consider these pedals:
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube classic pedal (great tube sounds)
Fulltone full drive pedal (really tweakable pedal)
Electro Harmonix english muffn (english sound, duh)

When i bought my 550 I was told by the sales guy that it would be perfect for playing Metallica. After getting it home and tweaking on it for awhile I soon realized that this was untrue. The 550's gain just was not enough. I came on this forum and cried about it and the nice folks here recommended an OD pedal. Last weekend, hating my 550 I bought a Fulltone OCD pedal. Now I must say I love my 550. I sounds perfect to me. I can get the Master of puppets sound all the way to the Black Album. The OCD added just enough distortion and mid-range without changing the amps tone which was important to me. I did try the Fulltone Fat Boost, it sounded fine, my only concern was that the drive had to be cranked all the up to get the sound I was looking for. I wanted a boost that gave me what I wanted and more if I desired. With the OCD I can turn the drive up to say 11 o'clock for the Master of Puppets sound and then Just turn the gain up on the amp for that smooth saturated Black Album sound. Thanks to the Fulltone OCD I now own the perfect amp.

Sling Blade said:
When i bought my 550 I was told by the sales guy that it would be perfect for playing Metallica. After getting it home and tweaking on it for awhile I soon realized that this was untrue. The 550's gain just was not enough. I came on this forum and cried about it and the nice folks here recommended an OD pedal. Last weekend, hating my 550 I bought a Fulltone OCD pedal. Now I must say I love my 550. I sounds perfect to me. I can get the Master of puppets sound all the way to the Black Album. The OCD added just enough distortion and mid-range without changing the amps tone which was important to me. I did try the Fulltone Fat Boost, it sounded fine, my only concern was that the drive had to be cranked all the up to get the sound I was looking for. I wanted a boost that gave me what I wanted and more if I desired. With the OCD I can turn the drive up to say 11 o'clock for the Master of Puppets sound and then Just turn the gain up on the amp for that smooth saturated Black Album sound. Thanks to the Fulltone OCD I now own the perfect amp.

this is perhaps a dumb question but do you run the OCD on the clean channel? What were you gain, master settings?

Kevin

That's not a dumb question at all. The OCD sets on top of my amp. I like the sound of the Crunch channel. I just wanted it to have more crunch. So I set the amps Gain at about 1 o'clock and and OCD's drive at about 11 0'clock. I own other distortion pedals that you do play through the clean channel. I don't like them though. I bought a $1200 mesa for the Mesa tone not a distortion pedals solid-state tone. If I want even more gain, like a thick creamy gain I will switch over to the Burn channel and turn the gain up to about 3 o'clock and maybe turn up the drive on the OCD to 12 o'clock. This gives me a huge gain. I couldn't ever understand how anyone would need more. Hope this answers your question.

Thanks everyone for the input....Ive decided to go for the 5:50 Im going to pick up the 2x12 Monday....The last factor was checking out the Orange rockerverb 50...In my ears the mesa blew it away clean and dirty!!!! and at a nicer price !!!!

wilerty said:
I use a Boss ME-50 in the effects loop and it works very well ... lots of options.

Thanks for the input....you and I seem to be traveling the same circles lately !!!!

Nick: Did you get it at Magdon? I saw the 5:50 2X12 they had there the night Johnny Hiland was there is gone. I was there today ... bought the Black Cherry Johnny Hiland ...

Wait till you hear the Hiland thru the 5:50 ... you're in for a treat.

wilerty said:
Nick: Did you get it at Magdon? I saw the 5:50 2X12 they had there the night Johnny Hiland was there is gone. I was there today ... bought the Black Cherry Johnny Hiland ...

Wait till you hear the Hiland thru the 5:50 ... you're in for a treat.

No, I'm getting it local @ Russo's...congrats on the Hiland...I've been loving it through my JCM800 rig, I'm sure it will be killer through the Mesa !!!

Is yours signed? Didn't Johnny sign all his sigs when he was there?

I didn't notice that the back of the headstock was signed until I had already bought it ... unless they all come that way. He used a gold sharpie, I assume, so it isn't too obvious.

IMG_0508.jpg

wilerty said:
I didn't notice that the back of the headstock was signed until I had already bought it ... unless they all come that way. He used a gold sharpie, I assume, so it isn't too obvious.

No they don't come signed..I saw him signing them all before he went across the street to do the clinic !!!!

Latest posts

Back