Express 5:50 2x12 First Gig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp

Reaction score
I have had an Express 2x12 for a week. I bought it to replace a TSL 100 H and 2x12 cab - too big and needs to be very loud. I wanted a 2x12 combo and I stumbled across the Express. Sounds great at home on 5W. I was mazed at how good it was at a gig. It is much louder than I thought and sound really big and "real". I do not want to talk the Marshall down but the Express really is better - no hint of fiz just great tone and sound. The clean with my Rickenbacker 12 string was just fantastic. I used the Blues setting for lead (Les Paul) but when I needed more sustain (Still Got The Blues) I simply walked to the amp and switched to Burn. Yes it would be great if this was foot switchable!!!! Overall than I, and my band, were totally amazed at how good it sounds.

I had only tried th 1x12 in the shop but ordered the 2x12 - slightly bigger sounding and seems to handle the bass better. Not too heavy, probably ligter than a Twin. :lol:

jonp said:
I have had an Express 2x12 for a week. I bought it to replace a TSL 100 H and 2x12 cab - too big and needs to be very loud. I wanted a 2x12 combo and I stumbled across the Express. Sounds great at home on 5W. I was mazed at how good it was at a gig. It is much louder than I thought and sound really big and "real". I do not want to talk the Marshall down but the Express really is better - no hint of fiz just great tone and sound. The clean with my Rickenbacker 12 string was just fantastic. I used the Blues setting for lead (Les Paul) but when I needed more sustain (Still Got The Blues) I simply walked to the amp and switched to Burn. Yes it would be great if this was foot switchable!!!! Overall than I, and my band, were totally amazed at how good it sounds.

I had only tried th 1x12 in the shop but ordered the 2x12 - slightly bigger sounding and seems to handle the bass better. Not too heavy, probably ligter than a Twin. :lol:

They are great 'little' amps. I owned for a little while and was amazed what could come out of a 10" speaker (5:25). Maybe what you need is a boost/OD pedal to drive channel 2 better so you don't have to worry about walking over to the amp.

Also, shouldn't this post be in the 'Modern 1991-Present' section?? :D

Hey Jonp - real glad you like the 5:50. One tip - there's a fair degree of overlap in tones between the channel 1 blues voice and the channel 2 one. So if you wanna footswitch from cleanish to burn use the channel 2 clean channel if you can.

I had a Marshall JCM2000 - my new 5:50 shits on it.

Have you hooked up the 5:50 to your cab - gives a harder edge & yeah - knocks your socks off.

Thanks newysurfer.

I agree that the crunch on channel 1 is very close to burn on channel 2 (if th gain is up high). I just love the clean sound with my ricky 12. One of the best sounds ever. Also the blues setting on channel 2 is such an incredible all round lead tone - thick, clear and natural, with an edge of dirt for sustain and warmth. I'll keep walking to the amp when I need burn!!!!!!

The more I play the 5:50 2x12 the more I love it. My history of amps is:

Peavey Ultra 1x12 (versatile)
Fender 94 Twin (I really liked this one for 10 years until it broke)
Fender Super 4x10 reissue (nice clean when loud - thin when quiet)
Marshall TSL 100 + 1936 2x12 cab (Versatile but very bright. Clean OK)

5:50 is the best I've heard. Nothing complicated. Easy to use and no real descisions to make.

Latest posts

Back