Express 5:50 2X12 ... after 5 days

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilerty

Reaction score
I have been looking for an amp to replace my Twin. I only play at home, mostly clean, but needed a lower powered amp that could still give me the Twin sound. On paper and in reviews, the 5:50 seemed like it was what I was looking for. But no matter how is sounds in the store, you never know till you get it home.

This is the most impressive low and mid-powered amp, I have ever owned or played. At 50 watts, it is the twin sound and so much more. What has been more impressive is at 5 watts. I can sit in my basement and get all these great sounds at low volume levels I never thought possible.

I used an ME-50 or a GT-8 with the Twin for delay, reverb, and sometimes distortion and other effects. Although the reverb on the 5:50 is better than the Twin, I still will probably use another reverb also. I probably will be able to get rid of the processors and just have a reverb and delay or maybe the new Boss RE-20 Space Echo when that comes out.

I've been playing for 46 years and have always loved the Twin sound. But for what the 5:50 gives you for $150 more, it is a no-brainer ... unless you play in a stadium. The flexability, articulation, contours, and modes make this a tough amp to beat ... not even mentioning quality and reliability.

Congrats on your new Express! I opted for the 5:25 combo. So far it's a great amp for it's size and portability and contrary to popular belief, the cleans are quite Fender-like with excellent headroom!

Could you tell me the dimensions and weight of the 5:50 212. I've looked online and can't find them. Thanks

Hi Guys, I answered my own question about the sizes and weights for the 5:50 by calling Mesa:

5:50 1-12
19.5" HIgh, 22.8" Wide and 11.75" Deep-Weight-54 lbs

5:50 2-12
20.5" High, 26.75 Wide, 11.75" Deep-Weight 70 lbs

I was going to measure and weigh it for you when I got home tonight. I assumed it (2X12) weighed the same or a little more than the Twin ... but the casters help a lot. Fortunately mine won't leave my basement ... unless I move, die, or it breaks ... none of which I'm planning on. (knock on wood)

Latest posts

Back