Express 5.25 finally arrived!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbell Fever

Reaction score
Ok I have only played it for two hours so I am not going to pontificate on it's virtues. However, I was expecting to be disapointed with the reverb and I find it to be wonderful.( Usually only a Fender reverb will do for me.)
Also it really does sound much bigger than it looks.

Okay no more observations till I have had it for a month. :wink:

Ok I lied! This is my first Mesa/Boogie so none of this may be new to most of you. I can't believe the sustain this thing has. I am talking about the clean channel here, it just goes on and on. I can also hear what my guitars/pickups actually sound like. Compared to my Fender Concert (which has a nice clean sound) this lil' guy sounds just as lush and sustains longer.
The burn channel has PLENTY of gain to my ears. **** if you need more gain than this you might consider heading out to the woodshed.
The only pedals I've been useing (one at a time) are a Boss cs-3 compressor or a tech 21 comptortion (only for the compressor side as the distortion is terrible). I no longer see the need for my Tonebone hot british with this amp.

The 5:25 has got to be the best 1x10 Combo out there -- especially for the price.

Great little amp -- even if it doesn't sound as good as the 5:50 :wink:

The only other thing I might add to all my blathering is that this amp is very MUSICAL. I think they might just know what they are doing in Petaluma.

As a side note, I know it sounds better than the 5.50 even though I have not tried that amp. This is mainly due to the fact that I probably couldn't carry the 5.50 farther than 15ft. :wink:

Hey congrats Cowbell Fever

I like mine a lot too
and like it better than the 5:50

I A/B'd them side by side when they first came out
went home with the 5:25 right on the spot

was just at my dealer again, and he was A/B/C'ing
the 5:25, 5:50 and 5:50 2x12

I like the 2x12 better in the 5:50

but still like the 5:25 best

loads of gain, and there is something about that clean channel

5:50 1x12 is my second mesa. I had a LSC head and 2x12 cabinet, a great amp but barely usable volume in an apartment or condo. LSC is a great amp but I just didn't need such a big amp. I thought about keeping the LSC and getting an Ace, but I decided that my playing habits (no more band, and I just jam once in a while) couldn't justify having so much gear. I almost even picked up an ac30cc2x, but the express seemed to cover more tones and was made in the USA.

I can't say enough about channel 1 (and both of its modes). I just wish (like other people here) that the modes of each channel were foot-switchable.

I mentioned this in another post, I want to to hear the express with a Celestion gold alnico speaker.

vermillion said:
5:50 1x12 is my second mesa. I had a LSC head and 2x12 cabinet, a great amp but barely usable volume in an apartment or condo. LSC is a great amp but I just didn't need such a big amp. I thought about keeping the LSC and getting an Ace, but I decided that my playing habits (no more band, and I just jam once in a while) couldn't justify having so much gear. I almost even picked up an ac30cc2x, but the express seemed to cover more tones and was made in the USA.

I can't say enough about channel 1 (and both of its modes). I just wish (like other people here) that the modes of each channel were foot-switchable.

I mentioned this in another post, I want to to hear the express with a Celestion gold alnico speaker.

I know what you mean about having more options when it comes to switching around. I play mostly on the crunch and burn channel. I like the burn channel because I feel it adds thickness to my playing where as the crunch channel does not have the same thickness but makes up for it in cut. I cannot decide which i prefer out of these two. I just wish I had a third clean so I didn't have to.

Back