Express 5:25 1x10 "fuzzy sound" to no sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadoffive

Reaction score
Ok, I've had my 5:25 since March 2007, Serial #40... I've replaced the EL-84s once already, not sure if I'm ready for a new set or not, or if I have a larger issue here.

Saturday night, playing through the 1x10 and connected to a wide body 3/4 cab (both on 4 ohms). Middle of song, started getting crackly/fuzzy sound. Then sound completely dropped out. Turned amp off and went to back up amp. Checked cable and guitar in back up amp and both worked fine.

After set, I went to back of 5:25, and noticed a small "electric smell" didn't see smoke. One of the EL-84 tubes must have "shifted" during transport (the bottom was pointing towards 7:00). I reseated the tube back in its socket, and not noticing anything else, I fired the amp back up. Everything seemed to be in order.

My question to the group (as you can tell, I don't do alot of repairs myself), was the sound a byproduct of a poorly seated tube, or do I have a bigger issue and need to take her in for a check up at my local dealer?

Patrick

Well in my vast experience of blowing tubes. You had some high voltage arcing. As long as the arc was directed towards the tube pin, there should be no problem. When a tube goes, sometimes there is some charring on the tube socket. This would cause more crackling from poor conductivity, even after replacing a tube. If, after reseating the tube and all problems went away, I'd say you are safe. If it crackles some while playing again it will be the charred socket. This will just need cleaning.

Same thing happened to me at a practice, only w/o the smell. The amp went all crackley and scared the crap out of me. I saw the tube was out of whack.
I just reseated the tube and didn't have any more problems after that.
Somewhere on this forum there is a great idea for a little metal plate that protects the power tubes from being knocked around while messing w/ the business of storing and the taking out of the power and foot switch cord.
I had one of the tool and die guys at work whip me up one and never had the problem of unseated power tubes again

I'm more anal in my old yrs. I check before every gig now to make sure tubes are seated. My Marshall head has spring clips to hold tubes in place. The Marshall did not cost me as much as my 5:50 did. You'd have thought Mesa would do as good as Marshall to make their amps road worthy.

Rockerduck said:
You'd have thought Mesa would do as good as Marshall to make their amps road worthy.

The power tubes are mounted in my Express 5:50 the same way they're mounted in my '66 Vibrolux Reverb, '67 Super Reverb and '68 Princeton Reverb- with thow bear trap like holders. The old Fenders are plenty road worthy, as is my Express.

This seems to be more of a concern with the 5:25 due to its EL84s and smaller size (causing the tubes to get bumped while putting the cords in the back of the amp).

I appreciate your comments. I've been very happy with my 5:25, and I would be devastated if I did permanent damage to my baby. I'll get to check her out again later tonight.

The newer Expresses have a cage like this over the power tubes:

expresscage.jpg

Personally, I think I'd like both the "L" beam and the cage!

I've quit carrying the pedal in the back of my Express because it's so tight back there is makes me uncomfortable to maneuver it around in there.

Bob

That cage is wild! I agree that it should probably still have the aluminum beam across it. I also don't like that they removed the caution statement warning to not expose the amp to thieves.

There's a lot more room for maneuvering the pedal into the back of my 5:50 1x12 combo but you still need to be careful.

Don, you're right about the 5:50 having the "claw" on the power tubes. I was referring to the 5:25 since the tube was crooked. My cage over the power tubes is aluminum with no paint. I got used and 2 yrs old and with little use.

The cage is a cool idea. As for the amp. I reset both EL-84 tubes last night, played her for about 2 hours and all seems fine. Thanks for the reassurance folks!

Patrick

Latest posts

Back