Explain the OHM loads on the DC-5 for me

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyze

Reaction score
So.. Looking at the manual, it has a 8 Ohm jack, and two 4 ohm jacks. Now, assuming this is a head, if you had two cabs (both 8 ohm loads), would you split cable them and put them in a 4 ohm jack?

Can you use a cab with 8 ohm, and a cab with 4 ohm, one speaker cable straight to two inputs?

Does the combo itself have a speaker cable going into one of these jacks (like my Carvin) or is it already connected up to the amp, and those are all extension cab inputs?

Yes, for 2 cabs rated at 8ohm's you would run each in separate 4 ohm jacks. Or if you have a 4x12 with 8 ohm mono or 4 ohm stereo jacks
you would run 1 cable from the 8 ohm out put to the 8 ohm jack for mono,or 2 cables from each of the 4 ohm out jacks
to the 4ohm in on the cab.

The combo comes with cable with a 1/4 in. jack that can be changed so you can run it with differant speaker combinations. For example
combo speaker is 8ohms and a 4x12 ext cab is 8ohm and each would be plugged into a 4ohm jack if you wanted to run them together.
Make sense?

Skyze said:
So.. Looking at the manual, it has a 8 Ohm jack, and two 4 ohm jacks. Now, assuming this is a head, if you had two cabs (both 8 ohm loads), would you split cable them and put them in a 4 ohm jack?

Can you use a cab with 8 ohm, and a cab with 4 ohm, one speaker cable straight to two inputs?

Does the combo itself have a speaker cable going into one of these jacks (like my Carvin) or is it already connected up to the amp, and those are all extension cab inputs?
1. Yes. One 8 ohm cab in each 4 ohm jack. The two 8 ohm loads are connected in parallel, which makes the total load 4 ohms.
2. Yes, but the 4 ohm speaker will be louder. Less impedance equals less resistance. The total load is 2.67 ohms, which is safe , but don't go below 2 ohms.
3. Yes. Combo speaker jacks are identical.

Here's a calculator for speaker loads:
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Latest posts

Back