EV's in closed cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony777

Reaction score
Anyone tried the EV 12L speakers in a closed cab?

I have two empty mark combo cabinets with EV's for spare, so maybe they would sound great in a 2x12 closed recto cab, or similar.
I love the recto 4x12 oversized though, but they are with vintage 30's so they might be different, and scooped metal tones are my thing.
Anyone have any experience?

Tony

I use an an original EVM12L in a closed-back rear-loading avatar 2x12 with a CL80. Sounds real good for all kinds of tones. I didn't like two EVs in the cab, it was a little hi-fi to the point of harsh.

i totally love 2EVM in my 2x12Halfback with closed back, perhaps the two chamber system make sound better than one for two speakers...i use it with marshall6100, mesa caliber50+,MkIIa,mkIII,single recto and everything sounds on this cab better than on any other...

EV's sound great in closed back cabs. But you may not like them if you are going for scooped metal tone - the EV's may be too clear and articulate for your taste. The EV's tend to be bright and don't distort. They really cut though a mix.

My Thiele 1x12 closed-back ported cab sounds great with the EVM-12L. I suspect the closed back and porting tames some of the bright and "hard" nature of the EV, warming it up a bit.

4x12 closed a few times (Jake E Lee!). Currently, 2 EVM-12L, and 2 others, X pattern. I have the EV's wired to one out, the others to another. Using a TriAxis into a stereo power amp, or slave a head (line out box from speaker out) into it, and speaker outs to each speaker type. Adjust/blend to taste. Or, pop them in parallel to a single speaker out. Works great for me!

To me, EV's seem to love some porting, and front mount. But, no port + front mount has a different sound to it, and I like it as well. It's all taste..

helen_bach said:
4x12 closed a few times (Jake E Lee!). Currently, 2 EVM-12L, and 2 others, X pattern. I have the EV's wired to one out, the others to another. Using a TriAxis into a stereo power amp, or slave a head (line out box from speaker out) into it, and speaker outs to each speaker type. Adjust/blend to taste. Or, pop them in parallel to a single speaker out. Works great for me!

To me, EV's seem to love some porting, and front mount. But, no port + front mount has a different sound to it, and I like it as well. It's all taste..

so would it be a good idea to put them in my g-flex? or maybe just one and...?

I have a EV 12 series 16ohm in closed Thiele cabinet that is one of the best sounding little combos ever

Pat

fatoni said:
helen_bach said:

so would it be a good idea to put them in my g-flex? or maybe just one and...?
Hmm.. G-Flex is 2x12 ported I think? Definitely worth a shot. Funny thing- I was actually looking for a cheap unloaded G-Flex 2x12 to try out due to the porting.

EV actually had a guy draw up plans for cabs for their speakers, and the Thiele (ported) he drew up is a standard still for the EVM-12L. Mesa altered it slightly for their use, but it still sounds great. Port City has their type of porting, as does Bogner.. each tuned a little differently.

A 1x12 will be very directional. A 2x12, depending on construction, will most likely allow for more coverage. You could run 2 EVM-12L, or run a 1 and 1. However, keep in mind that you do not add wattage ratings, and the EV can be a bit more greedy. If I were going to do a 2x12, I might want 2 of them, 1 EV and 1 of something complimentary in each; or, 2 EV in each.

I love experimenting though.. ;)

Latest posts

Back