EVM12L Classic in a cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingdomheights777

Reaction score
Hey guys, i found an old 1980's peavey 2x12 vertical cab at a pawn shop for $30 bucks. It looks like this
DSCF0204.JPG

And I just got this crazy notion to but two EVM12L classics in it and run my Mark V combo into that bad boy. How are these cabs and is this a good idea? Just advise me all knowing.

Well, I guess no one has an opinon on this lol. Anyways I took the back off and it had Celestion
G12K-85's in it. I haven't really gotten to crank it yet with this attached to it, but how would these speakers do? Should I replace.....
From what i have read these speakers have great low end and are great for Hard rock/ Metal

Hey. Take a look at this topic that I started last week. Many of the same issues... http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38235

Also it's my understanding that the Mesa C-90 and the G12-85 are very similar speakers. I don't think there is an easy way to respond. It really has much more to do with what you like and don't like. I wouldn't be suprised if it sounded pretty good just like it is.

...and if you don't like it I'll give you $60 for it and you'll have a 100% profit! :lol:

GD_NC said:
Hey. Take a look at this topic that I started last week. Many of the same issues... http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38235

Also it's my understanding that the Mesa C-90 and the G12-85 are very similar speakers. I don't think there is an easy way to respond. It really has much more to do with what you like and don't like. I wouldn't be suprised if it sounded pretty good just like it is.

...and if you don't like it I'll give you $60 for it and you'll have a 100% profit! :lol:[/quote

LOL thanks , I am going to give it a whirl tonight in practice and i will post my thoughts

When you had the back off did you notice if it was constructed of plywood or pressed wood? The reason I ask is because when I removed the back of my Peavey Classic 30 ext cab I found it was made of pressed wood (cheap Bas^%$*s). If it is plywood that cab would be great with my Mark IV.

t0aj15 said:
When you had the back off did you notice if it was constructed of plywood or pressed wood? The reason I ask is because when I removed the back of my Peavey Classic 30 ext cab I found it was made of pressed wood (cheap Bas^%$*s). If it is plywood that cab would be great with my Mark IV.

I believe its plywood construction, how can i tell? I do know that this thing weighs a ton

usually you can lok onthe inside and see wood grain...or look at the edges of the pop-out back and see if you can see laminated wood or if it looks like it's all compressed woodchips...you can even scuff it on the inside, maybe with a screwdriver, in a inconspicuous place

Well it seems to me no one really answerd your question.
I am a firm beliver in the EVM12l. The first thing i did when i got my MV combo was replace the
Mesa C90 Witht the EV. In my opinion the Mesa C-90 is good for a few things. You can use it to hold a door open, they also make great paper weights, but they are not good speakers.

the EVm12l is the best speaker available

just my 2 cents

wnlively

wnlively said:
Well it seems to me no one really answerd your question.
I am a firm beliver in the EVM12l. The first thing i did when i got my MV combo was replace the
Mesa C90 Witht the EV. In my opinion the Mesa C-90 is good for a few things. You can use it to hold a door open, they also make great paper weights, but they are not good speakers.

the EVm12l is the best speaker available

just my 2 cents

wnlively

Thanks dude, was it the "reissue" one you used or the original?

BTW we had band practice last night and I got to plug it in and crank it finally. I hooked up the 2x12, good even lows, real throaty midrange (which I love) and not farting out! Extremely bright also in areas when walking around it. It of course did take me a while to dial in a good Channel 3 tone to help compliment and blend with the other two guitar players ( a mesa dual rec and a Orange Rockoverb 50). I ended up turning off the graphic eq totally, messed with the main eq on the channel and got a great Mark IV tone that worked excellent and cut through the mix but blended with the other two guys.

I used to run that same exact cabinet with 2 EV 12ls with my 1992 mark IV. The cab sounded pretty good. I found it sounded best with the back panel removed from the top speaker.Mine had a convertible top and sealed bottom.The speakers were front mounted.It had a nice tight bottom end and overall was not a bad cab at all. I have since loaded a mid 80s Marshall cab with 4 EV 12ls. Weighs a ton but sounds great!!!

I have two of these cabinets and love them. They are stereo or mono and removable back. The G12K-85's are the same as G12K-100's. G12K-100's are only sold in 8 ohms which makes the G12K-85's rare at 16 ohms. The stock speakers have lots of bottom. I run a V30 top and MC90 in the bottom and I love the sound. I have one setup with two 16 ohms which runs at 8 ohms mono and the other I am using the same speakers but at 8 ohms each so the load is 4 ohms, which I use for my Vibrolux Reverb and Fender Champ. The cabinets are very well built and I will keep them forever. Great find!!

jimsneighbor said:
I used to run that same exact cabinet with 2 EV 12ls with my 1992 mark IV. The cab sounded pretty good. I found it sounded best with the back panel removed from the top speaker.Mine had a convertible top and sealed bottom.The speakers were front mounted.It had a nice tight bottom end and overall was not a bad cab at all. I have since loaded a mid 80s Marshall cab with 4 EV 12ls. Weighs a ton but sounds great!!!

so the two EV's , were they the reissues? And in your opinion what did it improve over the stock speakers? (G12k-85's)

I have both types of ev speakers.

The Ev speaker does take alittle while to break in, so it sounds stiff at first.

Currently im using the mark 5 combo with 1 ev and a closed back recto cab with 2 vintage
celestion 30s

the ev keeps things nice and tight and the celestion give a good tight crunch.

The Peavy cab looks great. In fact I remeber back in the day when peavey was the amp to have

wnlively

I found the cab unloaded in the back of a music store years ago so I can't compare stock to EV. I was/am using original EVM12Ls from the eighties. Never tried the reissues.

The cab was a little too focused with the back on the top speaker. I liked the way it opened up and sounded huge with the back panel removed.

I'm a firm believer in the EVM12L. I think it would sound great in just about any enclosure.

So , for now if I keep the G12k-85's in it, and hooking the Mark V combo with it. In you guy's opinion should I keep the back off or on?

Latest posts

Back