EVM-12L lore

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegold

Reaction score
Has there ever been any talk that EVM-12L Series II speakers sounded any different than pre-Series II EVM-12L's?

I know the power ratings at some point went from 200 watts up to 300 watts. But was there ever any buzz that the pre-Series II 12L's sounded better?

After some research, it seems that the original 12L was rated for 300 watts and then lowered to 200 when it caught on as a guitar speaker.
There are also a few out there rated at 400 watts. Go figure...
I dont really think those older alien warcraft 12L's sound too much different from the OEM's that Mesa used for decades.

Boogiebabies said:
After some research, it seems that the original 12L was rated for 300 watts and then lowered to 200 when it caught on as a guitar speaker.
There are also a few out there rated at 400 watts. Go figure...
I dont really think those older alien warcraft 12L's sound too much different from the OEM's that Mesa used for decades.

Thanks for posting this...I always thought the 12L was 200 watts, but I've got one with a manual that says 300...thought maybe there was a screw up.

You should also be aware that there was for a time an EVM 12S. I think it was an attempt by EV to make a 12L that was voiced more for guitar. It was brighter than the 12L with a bit less low end.

Back