EVM-12L Break-in time

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnS77

Reaction score
Hello,

I put an EVM-12L in my mark IV combo around 4 years ago after blowing the c-90. I then later purchased an EVM Thiele (used), which I have no idea how much playing time it saw prior to me getting it around 6 months ago. Love this set-up BTW...sounds incredible for my playing style. Typical playing consists of around 12-18 Hrs per Month (gain/drive 7-8, Ch Vol 1.5, Master Vol 5). I have been noticing the EVM in my combo is sounding sweeter to me lately. It sounds like it is more in phase with the EVM in the thiele now. I was wondering if i'ts just in my head, possibly a slight setting tweak, or does the EVM really take that long to "break in". Any thoughts?

I now have 8 EV's plus I sold one, a mesa/boogie thiele to a friend so I might have a little insight into your question. The EV that is in my Mk. IV combo is a new 200 watt "classic" and it does sound slightly different than the EV's in my other amps, but only slightly. I like EV more than Celestion or Eminence because the low end is much tighter and highs are nice and raw compared to Celestions or Eminence. The Celestions are very smooth sounding with a nice sheen, they purr, whereas the EV's bark, snarl & growl at you, kind of like a Rottwieller. The "classic" snorts a little more but it is still a soul ripping EV at heart, slowly mellowing because I rarely play the IV loud, and loud nowadays is like 2 on the master . So to answer your question, yeah, they mellow out over time, but the louder and longer you play, the faster the speaker will mellow out, but not much when compared to Celestions.

10-15 years to age, like a great wine.

(tongue in cheek, although lots of us old timers still play through EVMs from the 80's and they sound awesome)

Latest posts

Back