Eventide Time Factor

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeSignature

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Eventide Time Factor? Is it worth the money?
How is it "better" than a delay that costs 1/4 the price?

I am thinking about picking one of these up but I just dont know if it's worth the money to me... and I cant test one out anywhere.

there are a ton of reviews on this on the Board if you use the search function. But in summary, I dropped the extra cash on it mostly because you can use 2 delays simultaneously (very important if you're into the Edge). Modulation and 20 presets also very important to me. You can also not set a delay time but add the modulation so it is a pseudo-chorus pedal too. Biggest surprise I had was how clear and distinct all of the delays were - pure for lack of a better word. Analog was clearly different than digital which was clearly different than tape and so on. A DD20 I had in the past had delays that all kind of sounded the same from a flavor standpoint. And the wet/dry mix knob completely changes how each specific delay will sound. So if you're a tinkerer and a purist, it's definitely worth it. If you just want a decent delay pedal, I'm sure you could save $100-200 on something else. I really only use probably 25% of what it's capable of.

Thank you!

I'll search the boards though from some reviews.

Im not really looking for an actual review. Just maybe kind of a vote... is it worth the money? What sets it apart from the rest?

I have a DD 20 and an MXR Carbon Copy. The DD 20 is OK. Im not very impressed with the Carbon Copy though. I guess I prefer digital delay.

Thanks again.

jab said:
there are a ton of reviews on this on the Board if you use the search function. But in summary, I dropped the extra cash on it mostly because you can use 2 delays simultaneously (very important if you're into the Edge). Modulation and 20 presets also very important to me. You can also not set a delay time but add the modulation so it is a pseudo-chorus pedal too. Biggest surprise I had was how clear and distinct all of the delays were - pure for lack of a better word. Analog was clearly different than digital which was clearly different than tape and so on. A DD20 I had in the past had delays that all kind of sounded the same from a flavor standpoint. And the wet/dry mix knob completely changes how each specific delay will sound. So if you're a tinkerer and a purist, it's definitely worth it. If you just want a decent delay pedal, I'm sure you could save $100-200 on something else. I really only use probably 25% of what it's capable of.

+1 on what Jab said...

TimeSignature said:
Thank you!

I'll search the boards though from some reviews.

Im not really looking for an actual review. Just maybe kind of a vote... is it worth the money? What sets it apart from the rest?

I have a DD 20 and an MXR Carbon Copy. The DD 20 is OK. Im not very impressed with the Carbon Copy though. I guess I prefer digital delay.

Thanks again.

Worth the money? Yes... it is only money after all... :mrgreen:

What sets it apart? Pretty much everything it does is done perfectly... no compromises here!

it's worth the money, i have had mine for about 2 months now and I love it. Wish I had done it sooner.

How does it compare to the TC Electronic Nova Delay. That is what I have now and I really like it alot. The nice thing about the Time Factor is MIDI capability. That in itself might sell me. I just wasn't ready to plunk down that much cash. I got the Nova Delay on sale for 150. That is an excellent price.

Jab - how does the Time Factor compare to others in sound? Better than all? Slightly better? Wonder if the DD-20 I got is not what I should have bought... hmmmm.... I have heard some samples on youtube and they sound kinda tinny etc...

Youtube samples? Of course they are going to sound tinny :D

Lush, clear, and deep are the words I'd use to describe it. Had it since release and I adore it.

MesaMonster said:
How does it compare to the TC Electronic Nova Delay. That is what I have now and I really like it alot. The nice thing about the Time Factor is MIDI capability. That in itself might sell me. I just wasn't ready to plunk down that much cash. I got the Nova Delay on sale for 150. That is an excellent price.

IME, I've found that it sounded better than the Nova Delay...

The TC is a great all-around delay with preset capability. Can sound very organic, and introduces no noise. I think it is superior to both the Line 6 and DD 20. That said, the Eventide is in a league of its own...not really fair to compare the Eventide to anything else, because it can do so much more. The ONLY drawback to the Factor series pedals is the size of the wall-wart- but once I heard and played them, the wall-wart became a non-issue.

I think the Timefacter sounded better then the G-major 2 FWIW

the jay: the dd20 is a most serviceable delay, used it for years. As far as tone goes, yeah I guess the dd20 might be a bit warmer sounding overall but I've never noticed Timefactor being 'tinny' in any way. DD20 is a great stomp box delay, the Timefactor could probably pass for a studio quality rack mount delay. The biggest difference isn't tone so much as it is clarity in the specific delays and the huge range of settings within each specific delay type you get by tweaking the multitude of knobs. Would anyone in the audience really notice the difference? Probably not. Not one person has come up to me and said "wow, those delays sound incredible, did you get a new one?". Probably more of a gift for your own ears.

When the TimeFactor is switched from on to off does the delay fade or does it just cut off?

hmmm, never really noticed. I would guess it just shuts off but I'll have to pay attention next time. I leave it on all of the time with a very faint slapback so really never turn it off - just use other delays and always resort back to my 'always on' mode. Maybe that's why I never notice.

One thing I like about the DD-20 is that the delay fades once it is turned off.

thejay said:

Are you referring to when the delay (not feedback itself) is not in the signal chain once you turn the delay pedal off? If so, I think there's a setting for that...

KH Guitar Freak said:
thejay said:

Are you referring to when the delay (not feedback itself) is not in the signal chain once you turn the delay pedal off? If so, I think there's a setting for that...

Yes, the manual states there is a setting :D

Latest posts

Back