EV12L In a combo Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koni

Reaction score
I was just wondering from some of you that may have done this swap, if The EV will fit in the combo and if it was worth doing the swap. I know its going to be a tight fit in there.

I had an EVM-12L in my old Mark III. Wasn't a fan of it. I think it'd be good blended with another, darker sounding speaker (like the MC-90).

That particular EV was originally designed to be used in a ported enclosure and not as an open back speaker. Mesa's Thiele cab was built around EV's design specs.

For an open back combo, you'll want a darker speaker. The EVM 12L would sound too bright in the combo, I think, even though it sounds rich and dark in a 1x12 thiele cab.

I think it would be fine as long as you stacked it on top of that wide body Mark V cab. Maybe put an EV in one of those and keep the Celestion in the combo. That would sound SICK!

I think I remember a while back when the Mark V's first came out. Someone tried to put an EV in the combo and it didn't quite fit due to the size of the EV magnet. You might want to check the forum or call Mesa and ask to confirm.

guys have used 12ls in combos for decades. dont worry about it, but remember you'll need to cut your highs and presence.

As for mounting it in a V, you will need to relocate the reverb tank to the rear panel of the amp. This will keep you from mounting your footswitch in the rear of the amp. You will need to replace the mounting screws with some longer pieces.

Mark Fore said:
I think it would be fine as long as you stacked it on top of that wide body Mark V cab. Maybe put an EV in one of those and keep the Celestion in the combo. That would sound SICK!

I think I remember a while back when the Mark V's first came out. Someone tried to put an EV in the combo and it didn't quite fit due to the size of the EV magnet. You might want to check the forum or call Mesa and ask to confirm.

I started a thread about it, it fits fine, no problems, so long as your pay attention to my previous post. :lol:

I ended up putting in an older MS-12 black shadow which was the standard speaker for early Marks in the eighties. It fits fine without any mods......just had to full out a few power tubes and unscrew the reverb unit to squeeze the MS-12 in. That speaker has a steal frame rather than the cast one of the Ev so you can use the same bolts. The MS-12 was an eminance made speaker that can handle 150 watts. It has a knight on a horse on the back of the magnet. For me, this speaker is a good alternative to the celestion that comes with the mark v as it seems to handle the amps power much better with a smoother, punchy tone. Try one if you can find one.

koni said:
I ended up putting in an older MS-12 black shadow which was the standard speaker for early Marks in the eighties. It fits fine without any mods......just had to full out a few power tubes and unscrew the reverb unit to squeeze the MS-12 in. That speaker has a steal frame rather than the cast one of the Ev so you can use the same bolts. The MS-12 was an eminance made speaker that can handle 150 watts. It has a knight on a horse on the back of the magnet. For me, this speaker is a good alternative to the celestion that comes with the mark v as it seems to handle the amps power much better with a smoother, punchy tone. Try one if you can find one.

A fine choice. I have two of them in a Genz-Benz G-flex cab. They sound great with my Mark II's and Electra Dyne. I tried one in a Stiletto Ace combo, and liked it much better than the stock V30. I wish MESA would start offering the MS-12 and the EVM-12L as optional speakers in their combos and speaker cabs. I can dream, can't I? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back