EV 12L

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude05

Reaction score
how much would you pay for an original ev 12l in good condition? i just found one for $100 that i could put in a theile.... idk if i should do this or just forget about ev12l and go for a 4x12 of v30s!?!? :shock:

Just so you know, im going for an all out metal tone(think log), idk what the theile's sound like but ive heard tons of great things.

So you already have a thiele cab that you'd like to load with an EVM?? If that's the case, then yeah, that'll definitely get you "metal" you're looking for: tight, focused bottom with a clear and defined top end (eq'd appropriately, of course). Whether you really want to go 4x12 is up to you. Personally, I don't think you "need" to, but your tastes and/or venues may be different from mine.

BTW, yes, $100 is a decent price for a proper EVM 12L.

Edward

no i dont already have a thiele, but i was considering building one to fit under the widebody combo. and then if i liked it i would build another one for the c90 in my combo and make a headshell, but that would be later...

Go with the EV . Consider this a parental advisory .

They last for ever , sound great , and are easily reconed ...
100 bucks .. I'd buy it .

I plugged one DIRECTLY into the wall socket (!!!!!)
.....and got tired of the 60 cycle hum .
It still sounds great 22 years later .
:D

turns out its been reconed and is in great shape. looks like i might pick this up soon! I NEED THIELE PLANS!!! i had 'em before but cant find where i put them. :lol:

phyrexia said:
Buddy said:
I plugged one DIRECTLY into the wall socket (!!!!!)
.....and got tired of the 60 cycle hum .
It still sounds great 22 years later .

bullshit!

really?

I was installing auto sound and these dope dealer's were on an EV kick . (take out the back seat , build behemoth enclosure , stuff with as many speakers as possible ) ! Dual batteries , Giant caps , crazy amounts of power . They were like felonious ice cream men .
For one reason or another one or up to 9 at one point would get damaged by water or abuse . I had over a dozen 10 & 12 " ev's that were just given to me . I got them all reconed by ev just for the cost of shipping ! Built a 4x10 cab . Some I sold , two I kept . One I abused heavily . Mains voltage thru an ev is very very loud .
I wouldn't do it again though . Ah , the eighties , what I can remember of them . :roll:

OMG! :D

i found a 2x12 "vintage peavey" cab with ev12l's in it for $185... supposedly played by king crimson. i have no idea what a vintage peavey cab looks like but I AM GOING TO GET THIS! what kind of difference would no ports make with the ev?

George was selling some some he had on this forum a while ago for $90.

The ones with the black shadow / mesa sticker seem to fetch a higher price than ones without, I'm not sure if they're anatomicaly or acoustically different.

guitardude05 said:
OMG! :D

i found a 2x12 "vintage peavey" cab with ev12l's in it for $185... supposedly played by king crimson. i have no idea what a vintage peavey cab looks like but I AM GOING TO GET THIS! what kind of difference would no ports make with the ev?

Slightly lower output , smoother response curve , less , but tighter , more detailed bass .
BUY THAT SUCKER !
Oh yeah , the plans are scattered all over the board for the theile cab's .
You should have no trouble finding them .

Can I ask what "Thiele" cabs are, and what's so awesome about them? I've never seen or heard them.

ketiov, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small

Basicly a Theile designed cabinet will let the speaker perform with a linear response. This is more evident in the lower frequencies. A properly designed caninet will be different for each speaker volume. The cabinet is tuned by utilizing a port.

gts said:
Did you buy it? the one in .... ah, well, ok the ad is down now so it's safe, Austin?
nah i couldnt get down there in time. i just told the guy selling it to let other people go check it out and i guess it sold quick. it was a ported 2x12 cab too!

i am also having second thoughts about my mark iv now. ive been thinkin about gettin something else but im not sure. i really need an OD b/c im just not getting that boost and tone i need and maybe a '59 in my stock ibanez would help too. :roll:

Latest posts

Back