Eurotubes High Gain OPtion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikkyu88

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this Tube configuration and how much of a difference does this make with the sound?

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=6&sub_category_id=34

I cant tell you for sure what exactly the difference sounds like because when I ordered my set from eurotubes,, believe it or not, Bob wound up talking me out of getting the high gain preamp 12ax7's.
He asked me what I wanted and I told him,, high gain, and he asked me do I ever run my current set up with the gain maxed 100%? I had a feeling I knew where this was going to go so I almost lied but I told the truth and said no I dont usually run my gain 100%.
He gave me an example what the difference would be,, he said that if I ran my setup at full 100% on 10, It would be like I can go to 11. That was the difference. Anyways if you order from him,, talk to him get some ideas and if high gain is what you want,, deffinatly get them.
Honestly though I believe you would do much better for yourself if you called dougs tubes,, I must easily have 3 or 4 sets of different brand powertubes from dougs which are better than JJ'S. If your set on trying some JJ'S just get the powertubes,,, try some tung-sol's or Penta Lab 12ax7's instead. Much better to me.
Good luck. By the way I have never ordered any preamp tubes with the high gain option but on the other hand they offer these for some reason,,, I really wonder sometimes if its an extra couple of bucks in their pockets from those people who insist on everything being the highest gain possible.

I ordered a set of the high gain tubes from eurotubes for my DR and absolutely love them, but here's why- I can get the saturated tone with the tightness and aggressiveness of running the gain lower (say about 5 on vintage or 3-4 on modern). The setting of the gain control really affects the over all feel and tone of the amp, so if you like the tonality of running the gain at 10 but it's too much gain, then try a low gain set of tubes.

and one more thing, whoever you decide to go with, call them up and talk directly to them especially if your confused on what to get. Both of these places love to talk tubes and amps and will answer any question you may have. They will most likely ask you what kind of sound your after and so on and so on. They know their stuff well,, after I spoke to both of these dealers I felt much more confident in what I chose.
And remember its what you choose. not them. Everybody likes different sounds.
The only thing I dont like about eurotubes is that they only sell JJ'S. If you dont like JJ'S they become useless then. Other than that everything has been great with both. good luck

I felt that with JJ ECC83 High Gain's in all the spots in the preamp it muddied up my amp (Roadster) a bit, especially in V1. I settled with a Tung-Sol in V1, a JJ High Gain in V2, a 9th generation Chinese in V3 and the Mesa Russian 2 (Electro Harmonix) 12AX7's the rest of the way, with Winged =C= 6L6's in the power section. I'm slamming the front end with EMG's and a clean boost, so my gain knob never goes above 1:00 anyway, especially in ch 4 Modern. It really keeps the amp tight and the EQ responsive IMO.

Definatly call or e-mail Doug. He was right on with my rig. (If you really want the JJ's he's got them too)

Dom

Thing that bothered me was Eurotubes talks about Winged C tubes like the SED 6L6 and EL34s not having balls compared to JJ power tubes.

I love JJ power tubes but I am still on the fence with the preamp tubes.

Thing that bothered me was Eurotubes talks about Winged C tubes like the SED 6L6 and EL34s not having balls compared to JJ power tubes.

I love JJ power tubes but I am still on the fence with the preamp tubes.

papersoul said:

That's because Bob really believes in his product. Although I have to admit, JJ's are not the "cure all" tube. JJ 6L6's are nice, but IMO the =C= 6L6 is a much better choice for the Rectos.

Dom

Do the C= 6L6 and C=EL34s have any balls? Like I said, the comment son his site about those scare me and Bob is a pretty honest guy. I know he loves JJs.

I picked up a Tung Sol and some EH 12AX7s but on the Euro site it says they can be fuzzy and they are no different than Sovtek unless they are old stock. Mine are new stock. Apparently JJs are thicker when driven.

The JJ's from Eurotubes, in my experience, were pretty harsh on the ear. I played with them in my rectoverb for about two months before contacting Doug's directly and had a nice pre-amp combo sent to me. I don't think the amp has ever sounded as good as it does now.

I have had my eyes on the SED c winged 6l6's for a while now, I own the SED c winged el34's and they seem real nice.
And jackolantern01 I think we spoke the other day,,, I think,,, but im interested in trying dougs recommended preamp set up for the ROV.
So far choosing on my own I like the Penta labs and tung-sols the best.

papersoul said:
Do the C= 6L6 and C=EL34s have any balls? Like I said, the comment son his site about those scare me and Bob is a pretty honest guy. I know he loves JJs.

Plenty of balls for me. Palm mutes feel like they are punching me in the gut at high volumes.

papersoul said:
I picked up a Tung Sol and some EH 12AX7s but on the Euro site it says they can be fuzzy and they are no different than Sovtek unless they are old stock. Mine are new stock. Apparently JJs are thicker when driven.

I don't know about that statement. I understand the logic but no Sovtek (or Mesa Russian 1) I tried ever sounded as good as the Tung-Sol re-issue I have in V1 right now. Even the E.H. (Mesa Russian 2) sounds better than the Sovteks IMO. Just because they are made by the same company doesn't mean they will sound the same. I'm sure that a Cadilliac rides and handles alot better than a Chevy Impala, even though they are both made by GM.

Dom

I just put the D-Tubes recommended set in my Rectoverb. Very nice as far as I can tell. I won't be able to tell if they make that big of a difference until I crank the amp up though. One thing...I don't feel like my clean tone got any better. The rectoverb seems to be voiced to have some bite to it and the fender sparkly clean just does not exist in that amp regardless of tube choice.

recto-robbie said:
I have had my eyes on the SED c winged 6l6's for a while now, I own the SED c winged el34's and they seem real nice.
And jackolantern01 I think we spoke the other day,,, I think,,, but im interested in trying dougs recommended preamp set up for the ROV.
So far choosing on my own I like the Penta labs and tung-sols the best.

I've used high gain JJ's in the preamps of all of my amps and love them. I've used them in my 2 channel Dual Recto, a Hollywood Mod Stage I Stiletto, quite a few Marshalls, etc. I like the tone of the higher gain channels with them, and they've actually improved the clean channel of every amp I've used them in. I don't care for the power tubes though, nor do I use them.

ToneAddictJon said:
I ordered a set of the high gain tubes from eurotubes for my DR and absolutely love them, but here's why- I can get the saturated tone with the tightness and aggressiveness of running the gain lower (say about 5 on vintage or 3-4 on modern). The setting of the gain control really affects the over all feel and tone of the amp, so if you like the tonality of running the gain at 10 but it's too much gain, then try a low gain set of tubes.

Mind PM'ing me your config? Don't want to Hijack.

domct203 said:
I felt that with JJ ECC83 High Gain's in all the spots in the preamp it muddied up my amp (Roadster) a bit, especially in V1. I settled with a Tung-Sol in V1, a JJ High Gain in V2, a 9th generation Chinese in V3 and the Mesa Russian 2 (Electro Harmonix) 12AX7's the rest of the way, with Winged =C= 6L6's in the power section. I'm slamming the front end with EMG's and a clean boost, so my gain knob never goes above 1:00 anyway, especially in ch 4 Modern. It really keeps the amp tight and the EQ responsive IMO.

Definatly call or e-mail Doug. He was right on with my rig. (If you really want the JJ's he's got them too)

Dom

I’m with Dom!!
I have been using the 6l6/EL34 combination a while, I use to use 6L6 straight across but have not found anything I really care for in a while. When I got these tubes www.dougstubes.com I broke down and went for the 6L6’s straight across. My Mark IV never sounded this good EVER! I’m loving the SED’s and the preamp package that Doug put together for me but I also plan on getting the 6l6/EL34 combo in SED’s. might go for some 6V6’s also. I love to change it up especially while recording.

V1 Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7
V2 high gain JJ ECC83S
V3 Penta Labs/Shuguang 12AX7C
V4 Unlabled/Shuguang 12AX7C
V5 balanced Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Power section (4) winged=c= SED 6L6GC

papersoul said:

No question Bob is an honest guy! The problem with this stuff there are no absolutes it’s all taste. Guys like Bob and Doug are artist in their own right.
For my taste JJ’s across the whole preamp section is a bit too dark for me.

Latest posts

Back