EQing a Maverick

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deny

Reaction score
I'm still new to Mesas and am definitely a huge fan now. I'm still trying to dial the thing in though. I swear, everytime I think I've got it close, the next time I play...have to do more tweaking. Just wondering if there are any Maverick owners out there that wouldn't mind sharing some of their settings, so maybe it can give me a good place to start...or maybe at least give me a better idea of what I'm doing. I can hear the potential in there and just want to pull that out. It sounds a bit like there's a blanket over it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

It would be helpful to know what sort of tones you are trying to achieve. There are LOTS of tonal variations to be had with this amp. Is the "blanket" over the clean channel, the distortion channel or both? If you don't have a manual you can download one for free at www.mesaboogie.com . Some good information there.

The Maverick is somewhat unique in having two separate preamps instead of the distortion channel just adding cascading gain stages. To get sparkling cleans you probably need to turn the output level up fairly high. Turn up the master on clean channel, then adjust the volume and start your eq tweaking with the treble control. Somewhere around noon the mid control on the clean channel starts adding gain so be careful with that one. It is easy to add too much bass, it will not enhance after a certain point but rather create an unpleasant murkiness that will not go away until dialed back.

I find that I prefer the sound of the distortion channel at lower gain settings. The Maverick is not the right choice for metal. Actually the clean channel does a better metal tone than the distortion channel if you tweak it correctly. For metal, use a pedal. Again, treble first, then mid then bass.

Some tips that make a huge difference in the tones from your Mav.

First, try some different tubes in V1 and V2. I have enjoyed various combinations of 7025, 5751, different brands of 12ax7 and 12at7. This will bring out the mad scientist in you and you may find your tone there.

While I prefer to run the tube rectifier with a 5v4 in it to keep the tubes a bit cooler (my Mav runs HOT), you may prefer either the stock 5AR4 or the solid state rectifier (tighter bass at higher volumes).

Experiment with different speakers. The V30s do have their shortcomings, especially where tight full bass is concerned. I happen to love either Peavey Scorpion Plus or Black Widow (the paper dust cover ONLY, not the metal) in my Mav, your results may vary.

Have fun and hang onto your Mav, it is one of the most under-rated amps in the Mesa line-up :)

Thanks.

Yeah, I had the thread a week or so ago about changing out the speakers in my Mav. I've kept the Peaveys in mind at your suggestions and am still weighing that option. I'll definitely be pulling those V30s out sometime. I've really been wanting to try a 5751 in V1 and V2 for a while, and might go that route eventually (after the wife forgets about all the new tubes I recently bought, if I'm lucky enough for her to forget). I did have a high gain JJ in V2 and swapped my tubes around so I'd have a Penta Labs 12ax7 in V2 to take a little buzz out of the lead channel. With the tubes I currently have, I think I've got those set the best I can tell. I really think 5751's will add a lot of detail. I've still got to get over the learning curve on EQing the Mav though. lol

Ooops, left out the Bright/Fat switch! As you may have discovered, this only works on the clean channel. It may cause you to change all your other settings. I usually use the fat setting but my guitars are mostly single coil sounds - EMG SA or H in the fingerboard position is a mainstay for me. I do like the extra low end punch it gives me on those rare occasions that I use the bridge pickup also. Here is the link to the manual for the Maverick:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Maverick.pdf

Right click (or Option click with a Mac) and save it to your desktop. I printed mine and had it bound with a nice brown cover page as reference material.

Latest posts

Back