Eminence?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
You know, Eminence makes some kick butt sounding speakers. I've been experimenting with some lately and don't understand why Mesa is only using Celestion. Don't get me wrong, I love Celestions too, especially the new Gold's, but Emi has so many choices and are comparable in price. Anyway, I have grown tired of all celestions right now, so I'm running 100% American (Emi/EV) in my rigs. I've tried the Governor's, CR's, Swamp Thing, Delta Pro, Tonker, RWB. Great sounds. My fav's are the CR's and the Swamp Thing right now.

celestions to me really sound very plain. for the most part to my ears, a celestion is a celestion is a celestion. That having been said, I'm using G12T75's right now and they're awesome speakers. but eminence really has a great selection of really good drivers, and the price is good.

I think Eminence has really paid attention to the guitarists needs, unlike Celestion who basically has the same old design and wonderfully hand crafted in China. Even my old MS-12 150 Mesa Eminince kicks many other speakers asses. The great thing is that is a less piercing Eminence version of the EV 12L. I'm thinking about mixing the MS-12 and the EV-12L Black Label in a Mesa 2X12, or two OEM Eminince I have laying around. I don't even know what they are, but they kick major ***. I'm not so sure about the Eminence speakers in the G-Flex though. It could be the room as it's being a picky cab lately.

Celestions vary greatly. Mine are made in the UK. I have a Century Neo and a Century Vintage in a 2x12 which by the way only weighs about 34 lbs.

I've got a 4x12 loaded with 2 celestion centurys and 2 eminence red ryders in an x pattern, sounds pretty **** good.

I'm thinkin' about loading an empty 4x12 Lopo cab with Eminence Screamin' Eagles, and Wizards in an X pattern.. judging by the clips, I think that they'd compliment each other nicely.

I have a halfback 4x12 loaded with 4 Vintage 50's. I think the cab sounds great. It has a certain "vintage" tone to it... a little bright, but not spikey. Almost like a cross between a greenback 25 and 30's but with more character. :wink:

I wasn't thinking about bashing Celestion in this post, but rather being really impressed with the Eminence line. They definitely have paid attention to guitarists. I hope they get in with Mesa again. Celestion has excellent speakers, the Blue's and Gold's sound awesome, their standard Made in UK line still sounds great. I don't care for the Neo's, haven't tried their chinese made one's, doubt that I will. As much as I love my Mesa amps, I can't help but speculate that the reason they use Celestions is because of a "backroom" deal. :wink:

I also have been using Eminence. Some years ago, I had 3 Marshall 4x12's here at my studio. One with Greenies, one with V30's and one with GT12-75's

A friend also brought over his Soldano SLO and I helped him bias it. Frankly, it didn't sound very good through any of the marshall cabinets. BUt it sounds a great deal better through his Soldano 4x12 loaded with Eminence Legends.

So I learned that Soldano voices his amps with certain tubes and certain speakers in mind. However, many years ago, I owned a Fender 4x12 with Eminence Legends. It was cool but rounder on the bottom end than I wanted. So I ended up with Celestion Loaded MArshalls for some years

Now that Eminence has listened to musicians and made them what they were asking for, I have found that Eminence has speakers that capture the tone of many Celestions but with improved power handling and efficiency in many cases.

I still keep a Recto 2x12 with V30's but I now prefer my CAA 2x12 cabinet with Eminence Governors or sometimes with a governor and screamin eagle. The Governor sounds like a much less compressed V30. And the Governor doesn't have the V30's cone cry or overly strong midrange peak. IT works on all my amps whereas my 1967 Fender dual showman doesn't sound ver flattering through V30's.

The thing is , some metal heads prefer the less efficient sound of a greenback or V30. The less efficient speaker creates a compression type effect that makes some guys more comfortable.

Boogiebabies said:
I think Eminence has really paid attention to the guitarists needs, unlike Celestion who basically has the same old design and wonderfully hand crafted in China. Even my old MS-12 150 Mesa Eminince kicks many other speakers asses. The great thing is that is a less piercing Eminence version of the EV 12L. I'm thinking about mixing the MS-12 and the EV-12L Black Label in a Mesa 2X12, or two OEM Eminince I have laying around. I don't even know what they are, but they kick major ***. I'm not so sure about the Eminence speakers in the G-Flex though. It could be the room as it's being a picky cab lately.

++++1 for the MS-12!!! What a great candidate for reissue. By the way: the other day I was doing some speaker swapping around and my MS-12 ended up in the top of my 2x12 halfback (EMV-12L in the bottom) and I'm just going to leave it there. You can really C-rank that cab now and the top end is much more managable and smooth. I wish the MS-12 werent' so hard to find now. I have SN# 324

I installed MS-12 to my Mark III combo many years ago. I had two EV speakers before. I think that Thiele EV and MS-12 sounds better than Thiele EV and open back EV.

The company that brings Mesas to Finland claims that Mesa cabinets have British made Celestions. Is it so?

guitarsawicki said:
I installed MS-12 to my Mark III combo many years ago. I had two EV speakers before. I think that Thiele EV and MS-12 sounds better than Thiele EV and open back EV.

The company that brings Mesas to Finland claims that Mesa cabinets have British made Celestions. Is it so?

Yes, Mesa uses the Celestions that are made in the UK.

I think Eminence has got to be one of the most product focused manufacturers since the eighties!!! Look how many companies since the 1980's have just disappeared, gotten swallowed up by brain-dead corporate takeovers, or even made solid decisions that later turned sour in ever our ever changing world! They claim to make 10,000 speakers a day! Oh well, enough gushing... :roll:

I love the EVM-12L and Swamp Thang combo in my oversized vertical Recto 2x12. They make a great sounding pair. EV in the top, Swampy in the bottom.

ursinus said:
You know, Eminence makes some kick butt sounding speakers. I've been experimenting with some lately and don't understand why Mesa is only using Celestion. Don't get me wrong, I love Celestions too, especially the new Gold's, but Emi has so many choices and are comparable in price. Anyway, I have grown tired of all celestions right now, so I'm running 100% American (Emi/EV) in my rigs. I've tried the Governor's, CR's, Swamp Thing, Delta Pro, Tonker, RWB. Great sounds. My fav's are the CR's and the Swamp Thing right now.

Hey Urs, How do the Swamp's sound by themselves? I never did a Swamp Thang "only" test before I bolted my EV/Emi cab back together. Do you have any tonal opinions between the two?

Sludgenutz said:
ursinus said:

Hey Urs, How do the Swamp's sound by themselves? I never did a Swamp Thang "only" test before I bolted my EV/Emi cab back together. Do you have any tonal opinions between the two?

I'll do some back to back stuff tonight and report tomorrow....

CR is much fuller in the mids to the mid highs, but not spiky. It has a shimmerring high end, but kind if "fuzzes" out for a lack of a better word on the high end in a very pleasing way. It sounds great with the MKIV, but sounds to brittle and thin for the Stilletto. These still aren't broken in, but when they are, all make a new report. Even in a Theile cab, the low end is not prominent.

ST has tons of low end, more than the EV if you can believe it. It has a very smooth high end, when you can actually percieve it. It is a very touch sensitive and responsive speaker, similar to the EV. It balances nicely with a CR, Governor, or Celestion V30's, C90's. To my ears it sounds better in a wide open back cab, which is where zi ended up putting it. It was too woofy in a sealed or Theile cab.

Governor is a V30 without the spiky highs. This speaker rocks. It sounded good by itself even though the low end is not as strong as the EV or ST. This would make a good speaker by itself in a Theile or open back cab. I borrowed one from my friend and am going to see how it works in a Theile for a while. I can see why CAE uses them in their cabs.

Hope that helps...

3 months ago on a whim I decided I wanted to try a 1-15" cab, and after doing some internet homework settled on a sealed back, front loaded cab from Lopo and an Eminence Commonwealth 15" speaker. At first I have to admit I was pretty disappointed. I wasn't happy with the tone at all, but I stuck with it and it finally started to come around. It took longer to break this speaker in then any I've had in almost 40 years of playing but in the end it was worth it. I now use it with my Mark IV short head as the center dry speaker in a W/D/W setup along with two Boogie Thiele 1-12"s loaded with EVM-12L's as the two stereo wet cabs. All in all it's a great sounding rig.

Latest posts

Back