EMG's and Boogies, is there a Problem?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablomago

Reaction score
I have a Strat with EMG SA pickups and the SPX module. When I use it with either of my Boogies (MK I RI and Studio .22+), when I turn the volume pot it sounds scratchy. It doesn't happen with my other amps. Is there something about the input design of a Boogie that makes it not get along with active pickups? Are there any fixes? Didn't Metalica use EMG's with Boogies?

Just because it is scratchy does not equate to EMG's not getting along with Boogies. Almost every Mark Series design does not use an input grid resistor between the pickup and the first preamp tube input. Unlike most other amps, like Marshall and 50 others, there is a 68K resistor between your guitar input and your signal to the preamp tube input/grid. it filters off radio noise and may filter off some pot noise, but your Boogie is perfectly capable and willing to kill for you using EMG's.

I use an EMG 85 in the bridge of my RG and it roars through my Mark IV, no problems at all. IMO emg's are made for boogie's, they just give em that extra edge(not gain, but punch).

I use an EMG 81 and 60a with my Mark IV and it's very quiet, no interference, no buzzing, hissing or crackling. In fact I would recommend them to anyone who asked, they're just great pickups!

Latest posts

Back