EMG Pickups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm

Reaction score
I am at the moment using a set of EMG 81s in the bridge position and a set of 85s in the neck position on both my guitars (18V configuation). I am thinking of trying a EMG 60 in place of the 85 and I think the 85 sounds too muddy. The problem is that the descriptions that EMG give for their pickups is that they all are suited to what I need (of course, they want to sell them - I play metal and mostly rhythm in our band). I also find that the EMG 81s seem too bright. So, would swapping their positions help? Or, changing either the 81 or 85 to a 60 help? Maybe you could share your experiences with the EMG pickups I've listed (60, 81 & 85) in general.

Thanks in advance

Ciao ...

try just switching the 81/85 combo. iv`e found the 85 sounds best in the bridge pos.(less shrill than 81) and the 81 makes a kill neck pickup for leads and such

Actually, try the new Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They have the same quick disconnect clips that EMG's have and have a broader spectral range.

Guitarzan said:
Actually, try the new Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They have the same quick disconnect clips that EMG's have and have a broader spectral range.
yeah,, because switching the pickups he already has would be uberhard and more expensive

lailer75 said:
yeah,, because switching the pickups he already has would be uberhard and more expensive

Not really. Pots at the most would be about $5 a pop. Yet since the Blackouts work on 25K pots as well... it's a straight swap w/EMG's

Hey Guitarzan, you have any more information about these blackout pups? I can't find any on the SD website. Thanks man

-AJH

Thos Blackout pups could be interesting. Pity there is no sound samples to give an idea on what they can do.

stadidas: What one do you have in the bridge?

Ciao ...

I dig my 707's in my 7 string. The bass one can get pretty muddy but I only use the bridge on that guitar anyway :p

I agree the first step would be putting the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck. I have always heard graeat things about that combo and it won't cost you a thing. If you don't like it the 60 is a great choice it's very clear sounding and articulate (not sure if i spelled that right) and might be what you want

i play a gibson les paul and i have an 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck and i think it sounds great. the 60 in the neck really cuts a lot better than the 85.
i also the have 81/85 set and it sounds great but i always felt that the 85 in the neck was really muddy. i never tried switching their positions around but i may give it a go sometime.

Ah! What you said about the 85 being in the neck is exactly how I feel about it. I thought about swapping the 85 for a 60 and that would fix that problem up. Still just swapping the 81 & 85 positions might be a good thing.

Ciao ...

Back