EMG 81 and 85

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan96

Reaction score
does anyone use this combo of pick ups? EMG 81 and 85. if so, are they as good as i've heard ppl praise about them? i need to new pick ups. well want not need. thanks ppl.

I've played both extensively and I use EMG 707's now in my 7 string (kind of a hybrid 81/85 combination sound).

I personally like the combo but I find the 81 too harsh in the treble position. Anything about the 12th fret is just really sharp and jarring. Lots of people switch the 81 and 85 around so the 85 is in the bridge instead. I much prefer the 85 in the bridge position.

As far as the pickups, they're great, I love EMG's. They have a different sound altogether.. very precise and processed.. great for pinch harmonics.

good news... so should i maybe just get two 85's then. i dunno.. killswitch uses 81 and the 85 as well as z w. and theres no complaint from me on that one. i dunno. guess the only way is to try them out for myself. thanks for the imput dude

Hogan96 said:
good news... so should i maybe just get two 85's then. i dunno.. killswitch uses 81 and the 85 as well as z w. and theres no complaint from me on that one. i dunno. guess the only way is to try them out for myself. thanks for the imput dude

Yeah, all ears are different. You might like the sound of the 81 so like you said I'd go play them both. The 85 is a wonderful pickup, it has the attack of the 81 without the harshness of it, it has a really sweet tone when you roll the tone off of it, great for entry breakup distortion, etc.

the 81s have a good tight sound to them but can be harsh if you dont roll the presence back and turn up the bass a bit.

One of the big major difference between the two pickups is the magnets. The 81 uses ceramic which has great attack, tighter sound but the trade-off as you guys mentioned, harsh top end.

85 uses Alnico magnet, warmer, looser but rounder top end.

it all depends on what guitar you're putting them in. i had an 81/85 set in my les paul, and then tried an 85/85 combo...but found that it was too muddy so i went back to an 81/85 set. but i hear in thinner guitars the 85 sounds awesome.

this interesting adivce

i have an 81 85 set in an esp ec-1000, 81 in bridge, nexttimw i restring it ill switch the two around and see the difference.

I have a 81 and a 89 in my Esp. The 89 is like the 85 but you have a option of having a single coil pickup by a pull of the volume knob. I love the way the 89 sounds in the bridge.

Platypus said:
I've played both extensively and I use EMG 707's now in my 7 string (kind of a hybrid 81/85 combination sound).

I personally like the combo but I find the 81 too harsh in the treble position. Anything about the 12th fret is just really sharp and jarring. Lots of people switch the 81 and 85 around so the 85 is in the bridge instead. I much prefer the 85 in the bridge position.As far as the pickups, they're great, I love EMG's. They have a different sound altogether.. very precise and processed.. great for pinch harmonics.

Putting the 81 in the neck, it really changed things. I really like the sound of single notes. The 89 has a really nice chunk to it when its in the bridge. Like others have said, and I agree, it get a little muddy when in the neck.

The only problem with the 89 is the wires! I work on my guitars and this was a pain in the *** to find out how to wire, but worth it in the end.

MetalMatt said:
I have a 81 and a 89 in my Esp. The 89 is like the 85 but you have a option of having a single coil pickup by a pull of the volume knob. I love the way the 89 sounds in the bridge.

Platypus said:

I personally like the combo but I find the 81 too harsh in the treble position. Anything about the 12th fret is just really sharp and jarring. Lots of people switch the 81 and 85 around so the 85 is in the bridge instead. I much prefer the 85 in the bridge position.As far as the pickups, they're great, I love EMG's. They have a different sound altogether.. very precise and processed.. great for pinch harmonics.

Putting the 81 in the neck, it really changed things. I really like the sound of single notes. The 89 has a really nice chunk to it when its in the bridge. Like others have said, and I agree, it get a little muddy when in the neck.

The only problem with the 89 is the wires! I work on my guitars and this was a pain in the *** to find out how to wire, but worth it in the end.

Sweet! I'm glad this worked for you :)

I just got that set in my lp and they are awesome. I love the 85 for lead. the one disadvantage of the 85 is the clean breaks up really easy. you wont get a sparkling clean out of them. Yes the 81 is somewhat harsh after the 12th but that is what the 85 is for. I would say go for it because they are great pickups.

Geez...I hate these p/u's Try going the passive route folks. You'll get more tone, trust me. If you absolutely have to go active look at the Seymour LiveWire Metal. They run circles around EMG's.

I agree that the 85 is a better overall pickup. If you play strictly rythm on a dirty channel then 81 is good. The cleans on 81 are not great.

Personally I thik the 85/85 is the way to go.

I used to get 81 in all slots, but eversine i bought my iceman on ebay which came as a 85 in the bridge 81 on the neck ive been sold on idea that 85 is a better overall pickup. I have a jackson (see sig) with dual 81's and I think my iceman sounds better.

Guitarzan said:
Geez...I hate these p/u's Try going the passive route folks. You'll get more tone, trust me. If you absolutely have to go active look at the Seymour LiveWire Metal. They run circles around EMG's.

I'll keep that in mind when I go to replace my p/u's in my Kramer. Thanks

Latest posts

Back