Embarrassment for Line 6

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of Pignoses I use for jams and small to medium gigs - a G40V and a G60Vr. Portable, great sound (with a speaker upgrade), inexpensive if purchased used. Combined with a few basic pedals, a very portable and good sounding rig. They clean up nicely, take pedals very well, and pack a punch. The G40V has actually made folks' jaws drop at a few Nashville venues!

ty

Just a couple of things not necesarily RE the phone synch up:

I have a PodXT and use it through my computer or with headphones when the kids are in bed. Its fun, sounds good, and does what I need it to do. Very happy I bought it some years ago and actually play through it more than anything else out of necessity. Haven't used it live, but I've heard guys use them. Sometimes they sound good, sometimes they don't. I not so sure it's the Pod's fault when they don't sound good though.

I also picked up a Crate PowerBlock for a backup. Used to have a Marshall VS100 had and still have a 3210 that I would carry along to get me through in case of emergency. the powerblock sounds fine with my OCD in front. It is only slightly bigger than the Pod, 150w mono/75w stereo, and has an effects loop. Everything I need. They don't make them anymore but can be found used for around $100. Not bad at all.

i wouldnt say that i would enjoy a well intentioned company having technical difficulties. however as farr as changing settings on your iphone...people that are convinced they need that need to listen to the words of Frank Zappa..."shut up and play yer guitar"

zebpedersen said:
I do, however, stand by the point that just relying on presets removes the important learning that happens when you try, try and try again to get a decent sound from any amp (be it a Boogie or otherwise). Eventually, you get good at it, and it sounds great, and it's a really important skill to have, I think, and by just relying on presets you simply don't learn it. And I think that's an equally reasonable point.

I can see what point your trying to make but i question whether you have ever owned a good modelling amp (Vetta, Axe-fx, etc.). Yes they have presets but like the presets in the back of the Mesa manual, they're going to be not quite 'you' or not quite THE tone your after. Those presets represent a starting point not a fast forward button so to speak.

Now here's where your point is actually the opposite of reality... while there is a learning curve with any tube amp (some are larger than others), you can get really great tones relatively easy. This is why people a lot of people turn away from modellers... tube amps are more or less plug and play with a pretty short learning curve. Now look at a modeller like the Vetta or Axe-fx and its a whole different world. The Vetta is the easier of the two to figure out but at the end of the day the learning curve is much larger than even the most complex tube amp. At least with a tube amp your dealing with the same eq sensitivity across the board where as a modeller changes with each amp model. Meaning you not only have to learn how a Mesa model's eqs work but also the Marshalls, Diezels, ENGLs, Bogners, Vox's, Fenders, etc... and thats just the amp models! Now throw all the fx and routing capabilities into the mix and you can spend months trying to dial in certain tones before you get the hang of it.

Now thats just at the level of a Vetta caliber modeller... jump to the Axe-fx Standard and dare i say Ultra, and your in a totally different league. The Axe-fx not only modells the eq sensitivity of any given amp model but also the amount power amp sag, depth, and believe it or not, tube bias! Yeah Cliff managed to model how different power tube biases sound in a given amp which makes the process of dialing in any one amp model an adventure to say the least. Now on top of that throw in the fact that you can stack amp models and that you have endless amounts of cab simulations (stock ones plus customs IRs)... do you see where i'm going with this? And i haven't even touched on the fx which are equally as daunting if your not accustom to complex modellers.

At the end of the day, the point is as much time as we spend unlocking the beauty and know how of our tube amps, the modelling world can be 10000x more complex to truly understand how to wield those amps. When you do have the understanding, a modeller can stand side by side with a tube amp. Thats not to say one is better than the other because thats all in taste and ear of the player but point is modellers are no free ticket to good tone and in lots of cases are cast off as toys because most guitarsist dont have or want to spend the time needed to really understand the way they function... tube amps by contrast are more or less plug and play, which is why even players who can appreciate a modeller go back to a tube amp.

So I could see what you were getting at, especially for those of us that extend the "dialing in" process to swapping tubes, modding and the use of various drive/eq pedals to achieve a certain tone, but the reality of it is you'll find more instant gratification out of a tube amp than you will a modeller.

I can dial a clean tone in on my Vetta better than I can on any other amp I own.

msi said:
I can dial a clean tone in on my Vetta better than I can on any other amp I own.

Could that be because most of the amps you own are known more for their high gain abilities rather than their cleans? :wink:

msi said:
I had thought of that possibility.....

haha... i will say the vetta had some sweet clean tones right out of the box. The heavy tones are pretty **** good as well with some deep tweaking. But sit yourself infront of an Express or nice Fender and the magic is there without much tweaking.

msi said:
If you're spending more time attempting to "dial in" your tone, than you are playing, you are wasting your time. I don't know about you but I play guitar to play guitar, not f%&# with an amp.

That is exactly why I got rid of my Line 6 AX212....... I was spending more time programming it than I was playing it. Then I realized I was using the same 5 or 6 sounds on all my songs anyway, so what good was it to have 128 presets and infinite midi controllable variations in a 2x12 80 pound amp? I had already learned how all the single fx work during the years before when I had pedals and small amps, so I learned more about midi control than I learned about chasing guitar tone. Now I have a mesa and a board with 5 or 6 pedals on it that I modded myself, and I dont miss the modeller at all. I dont hate Line 6, but I wont ever buy anything from them again. The one sound I could never get from that AX212 is the sound I am getting now when I plug the guitar directly into the 5E3 clone and crank the master.

I guess I didn't realize that some of these Line 6 amps weighed 80 lbs! The ones I've seen (and couldn't get "my sound" from) have been small, portable amps. I was looking at them and trying them out to see if I could get a second amp that I could take to "jams" without either hiring "roadies" or getting a hernia. If I want to do either of these two things, I'll take my Nomad 2X12, thank you.

If you do a search on YouTube for "Steve Lukather studio", its a clip of Luke doing a session in what looks like a pro home studio. On the table next to him (hereaches for it) is a Line6 POD.

There is a place for these things for demos and/or if you can't use your complete rig or don't have an iso cab for a real live sound.

Love my tube amps: Mesa, Marshall, Ampeg, Carvin, but love my POD XT live for some practicing or when doing ODs in my home studio at 2am. My 11yr old loves my POD formessing around but is stopped in his tracks when he hears the real thing scream down in the basement.

Not a big fan of the massive emulation wave and how it's one of those things people are, for some reason, just itching to have 'take over' everything else for no apparent logic...

I *do* very much like the Peavey Vypyr combos, those are easily the best I've heard, the $100.00 one is my practice amp, blows away any Line 6 I've ever played on. Line 6 does however make what is IMO the best distortion pedal out there, oddly enough...the 'uber metal'. If one must have a distortion pedal.

Overall, these things to me are not unwelcome, but will always be second tier to fixing yourself up a tone with just knobs and such. I also love CD's and have over 500 and can't figure out why people are so desperate for them to not co-exist with digital crap. Whatever.

my 1st amp was a silver-face bassman which eventually i had someone cascade the channels on, it got stolen! #2: a marshall 50w lead w no master volume, this particular amp had the worst honking midrange which i could not eq away, and no cab combination i tried (about 8) seemed to make it disapear! in desparation, i found someone in the phx classifieds who wanted a marshall, and i traded it for $200 and my head for their MK II-B 60rev head! in 83 that was a smokin sound, and all my stack freinds were stunned! It got stolen! i had a zoom 9002, which i made a cool little 4 watt stereo practice amp out of, my first modeling device, and was amazed at the sounds i got out of it after taking the time to program it! Now ive had a nomad 45 since 2000, and a month ago, while the boogie was down, i stumbled upon a used line 6 axsys 212 combo WITH PEDALBOARD CONTROLLER for $189 at sam ash, $200 out the door. i spent afew weeks dialing it in for my tastes, and while it certainly is not my boogie, it is a reasonable jam/gig 2nd amp which i probably wont sell. and i have a spare amp when im in a crunch!
It's models are reasonable, but there is no mistaking the quality of a good tube circuit, it still hasn't been re-created sufficiently as far as i'm concerned.

Back