Electradyne, master volume, attenuators.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsic

Reaction score
Hey all,

Ive been toying with getting an attenuator for my ED 112 combo... either an Ultimate Attenuator or an Alex Attenuator. Both have gotten great reviews and insist they dont suck any tone while attenuating. But they are pricey, so before plunking down dough I wanted to get some thoughts from you all.

Ive never had the pleasure of running my ED master past 8:00 or so, its just too **** loud even for rehearsal volume... forget home use beyond that as well :) And, it sounds KILLER even at this level.

But-- could it be better? Does the ED sound that much better with the master at higher levels, that would justify an attenuator purchase? Before I drop coin on one Id love to hear from folks that either run thiers real loud, or use an attenuator currently.

Anyone have experience with either of these, or comments in general?

Thanks!!

I use a hotplate sometimes but no matter what the attenuator makers say, they ALL suck some tone. I turned my ED up loud then used my hotplate and it's simply not the same as far as dynamics and you lose that sweet feedback that comes on after you hold a note, it's just not the same with an attenuator. I say try a hotplate since they're not that much money and see if you like it. I would'nt drop a lot of cash on the others.

Just the effect of less power on a 90 watt speaker makes a difference in tone. So yes, they all suck some tone.

If you are looking for the power tube tone at moderately high volumes rather then cracking the earth's crust volumes, attenuator will get you there.

Koch LoadBox II - check it out. Worth every $ in my humble opinion.

I use a Dr Z Air Brake for my ED. Is it worth it? Yes, it probably is. No matter how you do it, the ED needs to be loud for it's sound to come out and the difference at volume is sometimes subtle, but it's nice- kinda like it's nice to have an OD pedal on the front end... not needed, but kinda nice to have.
Unfortunately, the downside is you never can quite pay off the Attenuator, because it doesn't stop taking away the life of your tubes. I usually aim for about a 6-10db drop. It makes the slave jack a little juicier too, of course.

I saw where Rivera is coming out with a new attenuator with some EQ to deal with tone issues. Anyone ever try some of the adapters to go from the 6L6 to EL84s? Read they reduce the power from 50-80%. Of course I guess you would lose the sound of the stock tubes which are great.

I run yellow jackets at times. (tube converters from 6L6 - el84)

I wouldn't use them to attenuate your tone. I run a pair in my Dual Rectifier and they really make it a different amp. Basically, the clean tone is miles improved but the gain tone really takes on a different character altogether. It isn't good or bad, just different. I found running yellow jackets with a Dual Rectifier gives the best results with a Marshall 1960ac 4 x 12. (100 watt loaded with greenback reissue speakers). A v30 loaded 4 x 12 is simply too stiff to run with such a huge power drop. With the v30 cab, you end up with a brighter and more compressed tone than you would get with EL-34s or 6L6s. The other thing you notice is that by the time you get to gigging levels, the power tubes are starting to clip like crazy. This WILL give you power amp distortion at lower volumes. Just be aware that the 'character' of the amplifier's tone will fundamentally be altered and you may or may not like it.
As I have said in another thread, investigate power scaling by London Power. It basically allows you to change the bias and plate voltage of the amp which gives tube breakup at lower and lower volumes. It functions like a 'power amp gain' knob and it might be a profitable addition to the Electra Dyne.

YellowJacket said:
I run yellow jackets at times. (tube converters from 6L6 - el84)

As I have said in another thread, investigate power scaling by London Power. It basically allows you to change the bias and plate voltage of the amp which gives tube breakup at lower and lower volumes. It functions like a 'power amp gain' knob and it might be a profitable addition to the Electra Dyne.

I went to their website and there are only a few certified techs in the US. None close to me.

That's lame! Surely there is an amp tech close to you who is good. It can't be that hard to install, provided you know a thing or two about amp building. I tried an Egnater with 30 watt - 1 watt powerscaling (nothing like the 100 - 0.1watt london power advertises) and the power tube breakup at 'low' volumes was pretty convincing.

I know that most people complain that the 'Dyne doesn't have enough gain at low volumes. This is why I think that power scaling would be possibly the best solution for this amp. Additionally, if you get the 'complex' version you can individually adjust each mode so that you retain clean headroom if necessary.

Enough already, play it loud, play it proud. :wink: So said a great man, paraphrased. 8) Get on the good foot, and check out this post.http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=50304

Oh, I totally agree. Nothing like cranking the @#$*& out of a tube amp. Unfortunately for some of us, we have to settle for the next best thing. Hence why people get rich off of things like power scaling, attenuators, low efficiency speakers, etc. I tell you, I lose sleep when I have to drag out my Recto, only to have it stifled by nazi soundmen. Don't you agree that being able to add power amp distortion at any volume with the crank of a knob would greatly increase the usability of the Electra Dyne?

YellowJacket said:
Oh, I totally agree. Nothing like cranking the @#$*& out of a tube amp. Unfortunately for some of us, we have to settle for the next best thing. Hence why people get rich off of things like power scaling, attenuators, low efficiency speakers, etc. I tell you, I lose sleep when I have to drag out my Recto, only to have it stifled by nazi soundmen. Don't you agree that being able to add power amp distortion at any volume with the crank of a knob would greatly increase the usability of the Electra Dyne?

Yes and no. There are two things that will never be had by any other means. Pushing the speakers hard and the resulting sound waves reflecting on the pickup coils. Low efficiency speakers will not solve this problem. It is a matter of physics, there is no escape. :evil:

Well, I'd rather have 'good' tone at low volumes than having my tone completely stifled. I agree with you though, any sort of compromise hurts.
Bottom line, you need a few buddies and a good jamspace to really enjoy a good tube amp!

YellowJacket said:
That's lame! Surely there is an amp tech close to you who is good. It can't be that hard to install, provided you know a thing or two about amp building. I tried an Egnater with 30 watt - 1 watt powerscaling (nothing like the 100 - 0.1watt london power advertises) and the power tube breakup at 'low' volumes was pretty convincing.

We had a guy years ago but the business closed. I know of no one locally who works on guitar amps. We have one electronics tech that does home stereos. I guess I could check the Memphis area. Only a couple of hours away.

I used my Hotplate for a while with my E-d, with EL34s and 6L6s at medium/loud
volume levels. At the end of the day, I prefer not to use attenuation with my
Electra-dyne. That's just me with my ears.
On the other hand, I LOVE my Bassman and Marshall set for destruction (dimed) using
the THD.
Just that I get a great "non-squashed" tone out of the Boogie without any help (pedals, etc).
YMMV.

Latest posts

Back