Electra Dyne (Rd 2)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jab

Reaction score
I went back in today for another test drive of ElectraDyne through a 4-12 Rectifier cabinet. And I must say, having only owned Stiletto and Rectifier MB products, I'm liking this amp better. It has nice, big, straightforward, articulate distortion. No fizz, no sizzle, and it maintains good string definition and clarity regardless of the gain. Reverb still sounds perfect. And loud. I couldn't run the master past 9:00 without disturbing the peace in the store. At first I thought the clean channel had less volume which would create a channel switching issue playing live. But there is a way to get clean/dirty channels fairly balanced, it's just a matter of how you balanced the volume (gain) and master controls. First time I compared the hi gain/lo gain, I thought hi gain sounded the same with just another 20% or more gain. Today I noticed not only does it have more gain (more like 30%), but it seems to have a different voice too - clearer, edgier, brighter. And it is slightly louder that the lo gain setting. On lo gain, I had to run treble as high as it would go to get some decent high end, but could back off the treble a bit in hi gain mode. I even ran a sustain test - on lo gain a chord sustained for ~10 seconds. On hi gain, it sustained until it tapered off into a nice feedback. It's hard to believe anyone would need more gain than what is supplied in this amp. I wonder what it sounds like with EL34's? Apparently they ship with 6L6 and you can swap tubes if you so desire.

Then just for fun I plugged into a 100W Triple Rectifier that was sitting next to it. I know it's all subjective and nothing more than my opinion, but unless your playing metal why bother with a Rectifier. Sounded dull, scooped, almost lifeless compared to Electra Dyne. So yes, this is a different product for Mesa, doesn't sound like any of their other products so you can't compare. Maybe it's slightly more Express-like, but with more gain/power? You could almost say it has less character because I can't come up with words to describe it being "way this" or "way that" - but I just can't find a thing wrong with it. Everything is pleasant to the ear.

I agree completely. It has its own character and it just sounds good ! I have recently played about every current Mesa except the Mark V and I think from clean to medium high gain it blows the other away.

Its an amazing amp. I also tried a maxon od808 pedal through it and it sustained forever. It takes pedals very well

DudewithFr0 said:
Its an amazing amp. I also tried a maxon od808 pedal through it and it sustained forever. It takes pedals very well

This is great news..
I've got a Fulltone OCD it will love!! LOL..

Isn't having one set of knobs for both channels kinda a step backward? How likely is it that the perfect gain/eq for a great clean sound is the same as for your distorted sound? That's what has me wondering about this new amp. Or do I have the Electra Dyne all wrong?

Johnny

Isn't having one set of knobs for both channels kinda a step backward? How likely is it that the perfect gain/eq for a great clean sound is the same as for your distorted sound? That's what has me wondering about this new amp. Or do I have the Electra Dyne all wrong?

Johnny

I 'heard' that this amp was a project amp that was floating around the shop and that it was so good they decided to build it. No big build up to it...notice how it just sort of appeared? Also, this explains the so called step backward, not a typical boogie amp with loads of modes etc... It will be interesting to see if there are any stories about this amp like those interviews with Randy Smith we see in magazines where they discuss the motivation behind the amp etc...

This amp has intrigued from the get-go; I've been privately rooting for it! It seems now to be aimed at the boutique amp builders whose products are narrow in function like vintage one-channel amps, but the goods they deliver are high-quality. Take that model and run it through Mesa's minds and maybe you get a multi-mode one channel Boogie-voiced amp coupled with Mesa's power tube configurations. So while I agree it seems to be a step back, maybe that's the price for demonstrating true authenticity?

The question I need to answer is: How dramatic is the emphasis between the Clean and High Gain Modes? Put another way, I'd like to be able to play a spanking rock rhythm in one mode and switch to a high gain mode for a solo without using a pedal for emphasis. I use my guitar volume alot.

Which begs the questions: Does the guitar volume have a sigificant impact on the amp? Does the amp seem less processed" than say a Mark IV?

Thanks.

my impression having played it twice is the shared eq is a slight setback, but really wasn't that big of a deal. I found a good tone sharing the eq stack. And I'm sure no one in the crowd would ever know the difference.

The difference b/w clean and high gain mode is very dramatic. It's spanky clean to high distortion, and not a lot of middle ground. If you like cleans not "perfectly clean", you could use lo gain and back off guitar volume to clean it up, then hit the hi gain mode. I do wish the clean channel broke up a little sooner than 4:00-6:00 on the dial, but maybe it does at higher volumes. I did like the tone with volume (gain) dimed on the clean channel. Great big massive crunch, but when you switch modes your stuck with having your volume (gain) dimed so may be more distortion than you'd want to use on a regular basis.

So this is less versatile, but the tone IMO is better for classic/hard rock. Punchier and thicker than Stiletto, not fizzy like a Rectifier. Not going to do your death metal though without a pedal, but more overdrive than any regular rocker would need.

Jab,

Hey, are you plagiarizing from my review? LOL, just joking. :)

From your review…

jab said:
It has nice, big, straightforward, articulate distortion. … and it maintains good string definition and clarity regardless of the gain.

From my review (here is the link to my review)…

zeeman said:
What I also really liked about the HI channel was that, even with the volume (gain) maxed out, the string-to-string definition was outstanding. I would play a complex chord and hear all the notes without it sounding muddy/mushy.

From your review…

jab said:
So yes, this is a different product for Mesa, doesn't sound like any of their other products so you can't compare.

From my review ( link)…

zeeman said:
I should also ad that the overdrive on this channel is different compared to other Mesa amps so I will not make any comments comparing it to other models. The Electra Dyne has its own voice - much like the Stiletto, which has its own voice and it was nothing like previous Mesa amps. The same applies to the Electra Dyne.

From your review…

jab said:
I even ran a sustain test - on lo gain a chord sustained for ~10 seconds. On hi gain, it sustained until it tapered off into a nice feedback.

From my review ( link)…

zeeman said:
We then moved over to the LO channel. This channel, with the volume still at 7, had more gain then I expected….The bottom line is that this channel was more versatile then I would have expected.

From your review…

jab said:
But there is a way to get clean/dirty channels fairly balanced, it's just a matter of how you balanced the volume (gain) and master controls.

From my review ( link)…

zeeman said:
Overall, this is one AMAZING amp. This was a very well thought out amp and Mesa did a great job of optimizing the channels so that you can get a wide range of tones even though there is only one row of knobs.

I should have added this to my review...

From what Steve (Mueller) told me, at real playing volumes (i.e. playing with a band or recording as opposed to bedroom/apartment levels), the volume between channels is more balanced.

It is nice to see that others have, essentially, the same comments about the Electra Dyne.

In my opinion, for those of us that want something more simple, Mesa is going to make it real difficult for us to choose between an Electra Dyne and a Mark-V.

zeeman

I really, truly, might buy an Electradyne after I get my V. They are very different amps but the dyne just sounds so **** good.

zeeman said:
In my opinion, for those of us that want something more simple, Mesa is going to make it real difficult for us to choose between an Electra Dyne and a Mark-V.

zeeman

Zeeman: yeah, those are somewhat similar reviews but it makes me think at least I'm not off-base. Maybe there just isn't a whole lot of options to Electra Dyne so it's easier to figure out.

I really can't compare to Mark, JCM 800, or Stiletto 1 because I've never owned them. Compared to Stiletto Ace though it's a bigger, punchier distortion, less gain, less versatile of course, but I do like the bigger classic rock sounding distortion (to my ears), the reverb, and the simplicity factor.

I hope this is not just a bad case of GAS, but I ordered Electra Dyne last Friday. I posted my mint Ace head in the Boogie classifieds. Then I gigged this weekend with my Ace and wondered why in the #$%* I ordered Electra Dyne. I'm having buyers remorse and I haven't even received it yet. But, I justify it as you can always go back and buy a Stiletto, or any other amp for that matter once you're "in" because the price differences aren't that big once you've made the initial investment. This Electra Dyne is going to be so much less versatile, but I think I'm only using one channel of Stiletto anyway. With Stiletto I'm stuck on Fat Clean with an Xotic AC boost to crunch it up and find I'm not using anything else, so why do I need the other 5 modes? I guess I got the Andy Timmons thing going where he uses a clean mode and a boost, then I boost again for a solo. So maybe I'm cut out for simplicity? Pass the Beano please.....

jab,
How long will you wait to get the amp?
If for sake of discussion, your Ace did not sell right away would you consider keeping both amps?

Very good reviews of the ED by the way.

Electra Dyne is on the way. All 57.9 lbs is due to deliver on the 20th. After this weekend, I thought about keeping both, at least for a while. I'd like to a/b them back & forth some more. But, I did get a guy on the Board express he wants it from my Boogie classified so I'll sell/ship if he follows through.

Latest posts

Back