el84's in an single recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppa

Reaction score
Has anyone tryed using the groove tubes substitubes adapters and putting el84 tubes into a recto?.

I was at my local music stote and asked the sales guy if he would put them into one if their solo50's just so I could see if it would work, and on the el34 bias it fried the el84's instantly. I think that could be due to the voltage requirements of el34 being higher than for 6l6 we never tryed it on the 6l6 bias because he wasn't interested in frying any more tubes.

The sales guy must have not known much about amps. He's lucky it just killed the tubes and nothing else! You'll lose some power and output and the tone will most likely sound kind of thin with less gain...

ok so how would be the proper way to go about putting el84's into my recto?.

It will change the sound of the amp completely. Above someone said you will get less gain....that is incorrect. The 84's will actually break up much sooner than a 6L6 or an EL34.

You will notice less low end and more upper mids straight away. Treble details will be more rounded with the 84's.

Latest posts

Back