EL34's in a Recto; Stilletto:

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah

Reaction score
I have a question (not a slam). :D When you can put EL34's in a rectifier why would Mesa make a Stiletto? I have to say that I did get a chance to play one of these Ace combo's and I dont get the beneficial difference against a Recto with EL34's. Can someone please explain the beneficial difference between having a Stiletto that you cannot play 6L6's through verses a Recto with more versatility? Id like to hear from someone who either owns a Recto and a Stiletto or someone who got rid of their Recto for a Stiletto :D Again--dont take this as a rude or slamming question--this is purely an educational question for my personal good. Who knows.....maybe I'll end up buying one out of the info I recieve from people...? :wink:

well, coming from the member of a two guitar band, and being the Rectifier owner, i do have to say that it's nice not to have to worry about the other guitarist, who owns a Stilleto, trying to put 6L6's in it to try and replicate my sound. :lol: :lol: :lol: I do like it, and i like the idea of each of us being able to carve out our own sound, and not being a band with all rectifiers, and the same friggin tone from both of them. So, there's one perk, at least for me anyway. And he seems to love it too.

-AJH

I have/play an old 2ch Recto w/34's and I love the sound. The other guitarist in my band plays a Lone Star w/ 6l6's and Gibson's or something with humbuckers and goes for a warmer less overdriven sound. I play Strats and go for much more overdrive. The two sounds together allow me to cut thru the mix much better and really give us a full, cleanish sound. I have played a Stiletto on many occasion and really like them but, I love my Recto. If I didn't already have a Recto, a Stilletto would work well too.

Having owned both I can say they're completely different.. I even run my Dual Rec full time with EL34's and I still think they're different.

You can get some of the same tones if you dial them in but the stiletto has a much more focused attack and piercing treble.

Guys, the pre-amp section of an amp defines the tone probably more than the power section. I heard some clips (here I think or HC) where I honestly couldn't tell the difference when the amp had 6L6's or EL34's. The Stilleto is voiced completely different, more like a traditional EL34 amp whereas the RECTO is 6L6 through and through.

Micah said:
I have a question (not a slam). :D When you can put EL34's in a rectifier why would Mesa make a Stiletto? I have to say that I did get a chance to play one of these Ace combo's and I dont get the beneficial difference against a Recto with EL34's. Can someone please explain the beneficial difference between having a Stiletto that you cannot play 6L6's through verses a Recto with more versatility? Id like to hear from someone who either owns a Recto and a Stiletto or someone who got rid of their Recto for a Stiletto :D Again--dont take this as a rude or slamming question--this is purely an educational question for my personal good. Who knows.....maybe I'll end up buying one out of the info I recieve from people...? :wink:

The Stiletto is Mesa's first amp designed from the ground up around EL34 tubes. It is a different beast... full review coming August 1 at MusicPlayers.com!

I have to agree with everyone. A while back, a friend's band used my Dual Recto (which has EL-34's) at a show, while the other guitar player had a Stiletto Deuce. I was listening to them from offstage, and I did notice that they sounded quite different. A few weeks later, they used the same amps in the studio. Same thing. They were quite different sounding.

Latest posts

Back