EL34L's in a Mesa 2:90?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmtnt

Reaction score
A few months ago I picked up a retube kit for my 2:90 with a quad of EL34L's for the outer holes. I was told it won't run ideally without a bias pot but I shouldn't have any problems.

The combination sounds fantastic but when I asked another vendor about it, here's what he had to say:

"It's no rumor, it will eventually damage the amp. Just because you dont blow fuses right away, doesnt mean that cumulative damage and eventual failure wont occur. Its simple math--a 6L6 draws less than 1 amp of filament current, 8/10's(.8 ) to be exact. On the other hand the EL34 draws almost double that 1.5, and there lies the problem. The amp is not designed for EL34's(defective ones at that) and dont belong in there. You wont find me selling out of spec tubes, I return them to the distrbutor or manufacturer. So you see, I dont keep EL34's that would be considered "hot" and that draw excessive current. The other issue I have is with the JJ 6L6's, they run on the abnormally low side of current draw and are really better suited to amps with adjustable bias. I've never recommend JJ 6L6 tubes for Mesa amps. I sell too much other stuff that sounds light years better, RUBY, TAD, SED to name a few. These tubes also behave and test more like a typical 6L6GC and are within the proper bias range required by Mesa.

Sorry I cant help you out on this one, but I wouldnt want to be the responsible party when you fry your 2:90 transformer(s)."

Anyone have any input? I emailed the first vendor about it but haven't gotten an answer. My 2:90 is my main gigging power amp, I don't want to fry it but those EL34L's sound soooo good in there! :(

I'd call Mesa Boogie.....They built it, they'd know better than either Doug or Bob. :shock:

what is your 290 model?

Yes the 290 can run el34..Different slots for old/new..
I have the 290 el34 substitution pdf doc. from mesa...

JAZZGEAR said:
I'd call Mesa Boogie.....They built it, they'd know better than either Doug or Bob. :shock:

I figured Mesa wouldn't want to help because of their warranty policy on non-Mesa tubes much less different tube types. Bought mine used a year ago so not even sure IF I have a warranty. :oops:

LUCRETIA said:
what is your 290 model?

I have the 290 el34 substitution pdf doc. from mesa...

Lucretia, it's the Stereo Simul-Class 2:90 -> http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Stereo_Power/Simul_2_Ninety/simul_2_ninety.html

I'd appreciate that pdf please -> [email protected] :D

Doug is right about the JJ tubes drawing more current than average tubes. I would recommend going with a different brand of tubes since they draw more current and will run cold unless you do a bias mod.

As far as hurting the amp? Mesa designs their stuff pretty robust so probably not. How many times have you heard about or seen a transformer blowing up due to a bad tube? Ask a good tech because most people don't even know what a blown tranny looks or smells like. Blowing a tranny takes some serious effort so that would be the least of my concerns.

If you like the tone with the E34L's you probably will the like the tone even more with different tubes that draw current on the same level as Mesa intended the amp to run.

Reviving my old thread. :D

I just got off the phone with Chris at Mesa Boogie. You absolutely CAN run EL34's mixed w/ 6L6's in a 2:90! Sweet!!! 8)

If your 2:90 is the older model with buss-mounted tube sockets, you put the EL34's in the outer 4 holes, if it's a newer PC board one, it goes from left to right - EL34/6L6/EL34/6L6 (pairs).

I'd be inclined to listen to the tube gurus myself. I too have a 'lil 6L6/EL34 switch on the back of my MB. Do I plan on using it, EVER... ummm no. I did think about it for like 2 minutes though. Common sense says to run 6L6's in it. I would think if EL34's were the shiznit stock config in those amps, they would ship w/em instead of the 6L6's? I'm pretty sure the design is primarily for 6L6's and the EL34 option is much more of a bonus/selling feature. However, I could be wrong. And you like what you like. If the EL34's sound better in there, go w/it. Just thinking out loud. Carry on. :roll:

dmtnt said:
Reviving my old thread. :D

I just got off the phone with Chris at Mesa Boogie. You absolutely CAN run EL34's mixed w/ 6L6's in a 2:90! Sweet!!! 8)

If your 2:90 is the older model with buss-mounted tube sockets, you put the EL34's in the outer 4 holes, if it's a newer PC board one, it goes from left to right - EL34/6L6/EL34/6L6 (pairs).

mmm, interesting stuff. I run the older 2:90 and I'm curious on the sound difference. Could you explain what the difference in sound is with clean and heavy sounds?

That'd be great!

I'm not sure why the tech you spoke with brought up filament current. Mainly because that doesn't seem to factor into anything here. The Mesa 290 is a simulclass amp just like many other Mesa simulclass designs.

The outer class A sockets provide more juice purposely so you can run El34's and get a high enough bias for them to sound good. So as a general rule here, plate voltage is a big factor and EL34's draw "less" plate voltage than 6l6's. 6l6's are rated for 30 watts max plate voltage dissipation and El34's are rated for 25 watts

I did run El34's in the class sockets when I had my 290 and the tone was a big improvement in my opinion. The El34's give the impression of tighter low end and crisper highs while still letting the 6l6's do their thing

mmm, very interesting. With regards to the crisper highs.... is that just more crunch as I avoid brittle top end as much as possible.

I wish I kept my old EL tubes when I sold my marshall poweramp now. Doh!
:roll:

Thanks for the info regarding el84s vs 6l6s. I have a marshall 9100 monobloc with 6l6s and have wondered what el84s would sound like, and if they are usable in my amp. I've also heard of 6v6s. Does anyone know about cimpatibility or sound differences between the two?

I have the 290 el34 substitution pdf doc. from mesa...[/quote]

Hi Lucretia, I'd like to get this .pdf which can be very useful...
Did you say Mesa has sent you this?

Latest posts

Back