EL34`s and 6l6`s color codes for MK IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golden1984

Reaction score
Hello.

I want to put pair of Mesa 6l6 and el 34 into my MK IV and I don`t know which color codes of 6l6 should match el34... For Example, what color code of el34 will be alright to work with orange 6l6?

Thanks

It doesn't matter as long as the tubes are matched sets.
The color codes is information to match the tubes at the mesa factory.
I am sure someone can explain this better.
It has been discussed before on this forum, so try some searching.

Best of luck, Jeff

According to testing done by certain board members, the color codes are also an indication of current draw, and consequently break-up characteristics. For example, Red and Yellow idle cooler and have more headroom/later break-up. Blue/White idle hotter and break-up sooner. Green and Gray are in the middle.

I think you want the hottest el34s you can find.

el34s run very cold in the MarkIV because they are really set up to use 6L6s and don't have a bias switch like the MarkV or rectos. I always thought el34s sounded pretty rubbish for that reason.

Call Eurotubes. Tell them you want a grade 63+ for 6l6 and grade 50+ for el34. Mine are grade 64 and 49. The 6l6 bias at 37ma and the EL34 bias up to 18MA, which is good considering the EL34 bias is usually around 5ma. It sounds killer also.

Latest posts

Back