EL34 Land with Rectos!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanDM

Reaction score
I put a matched pair of Sovtek EL34 tubes in my Single Rec a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share my experience with them.

Observations -

+ Total tonal shift.
+ Lost some lows and highs but had an awesome midrange tone.
+ The amp tightened up quite a bit. A bit less flabby.
+ Felt like I got a sweet Marshall crunch but with more gain.
+ Lost some of the neat sounding 6L6 tube sizzle.
+ Got a really usable pushed sound from channel one.
+ My cleans sucked. No Sparkle or Chime.

What has everyone else experienced with EL34 tubes in their Rectos? Anything similar? I think I am going to be keeping these Brit tubes in for a while. Who needs sparkly cleans anyhow? HaHa.

Cool--Ive talked to some people who swear by them in their recto's. Im not sure I would like them but ?? Its something Ive always wondered about but its always been kind of a pricy expiriment in a Triple Rectifier! I spoke with a guy @ mesa when I went through a factory tour and he suggested it--he did say that the output transformer was designed around the 6l6 though. He was an El34 guy and he said that if you want EL34 than the Stiletto is the way to go. It was designed around the way 34's react. Im glad you like them!

I love them in mine, you should try the JJ EL34L because you'll get some of your low end back and the cleans sound good... I'm not a fan of sovtek tubes personally.

RyanDM said:
I put a matched pair of Sovtek EL34 tubes in my Single Rec a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share my experience with them.

Observations -

+ Total tonal shift.
+ Lost some lows and highs but had an awesome midrange tone.
+ The amp tightened up quite a bit. A bit less flabby.
+ Felt like I got a sweet Marshall crunch but with more gain.
+ Lost some of the neat sounding 6L6 tube sizzle.
+ Got a really usable pushed sound from channel one.
+ My cleans sucked. No Sparkle or Chime.

What has everyone else experienced with EL34 tubes in their Rectos? Anything similar? I think I am going to be keeping these Brit tubes in for a while. Who needs sparkly cleans anyhow? HaHa.

Yep I love EL34s . I used them in my old rectoverb . Use them in my RK quite often and obviously in my Stiletto . They are my kind of tube . I prefer them over 6L6s

I experienced the very same with EL34's The EL-34L's brought back a bit of the low end but not enough for my liking. I'm just a 6L6 fan.

Sweet! Thanks for the feedback guys. The Sovtek tubes were a good test (free to use from a buddy). I have read a lot on the JJ EL34Ls and plan to give them a shot here soon!

I put EL-34's in my Recto the day I brought it home and never looked back. I'm an EL-34 guy, though. I like the mid punch and EL-34 breakup.

-Steve

Try the GT 6CA7GE. It will blow you away. It's not like a 6L6, but the bottom end is bigger than an EL34.

My personal favorite is GT KT66HP's in a #5. In a DR with the 6L6 bias they draw -35ma and sound huge with a 6L6 bottom and a bit more EL34 like top end. I run them in the SLO 100 as well.

Although I really enjoy what the EL34's have to offer, I have to say I'm more of a 6L6 guy. BUT! to me, there is nothing better when they are together. Yea Baby! :D

Here's a post I did just about a year ago, I liked the EL34's.... now I have the "best of both worlds" (Huh, that should be a song) with my Road King.... anyways, here it is: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1820&highlight=el34

Yup. I've had EL-34's in mine since it was about 3 months old. Along with THD Yellowjackets. Total change in tone - for the better.

Tele_jas discription between the two is right on.

Disadvantages? None really, besides the looser bottom end. Basically what the 6L6's lack, the EL34 pick up. Some say it gives a Mark IV feel to the amp, but I never played a Mark IV so I know nothing of this. I have yet to try this combo on the clean channels, I have been so happy with the 6L6's.

Latest posts

Back