EL-34's in a DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintballnsk

Reaction score
Can I put EL-34's in a DC-5? I can in the DC-10, but there's not a 6L6/EL-34 switch on the DC-5.

Thanks,
NSK

paintballnsk said:
I'm sorry, but what the heck does AFAIK mean?
"As Far As I Know"

But like MusicMan said, the DC-5 is not designed for EL34's. Mesa's are fixed bias, so unless the amp has a switch between EL34 and 6L6 (which the DC5 doesnt) you must use 6L6

kekam35 said:
Did the DC-10 have a bias switch? I've never seen one.

...nor have I, nor does the manual make any mention of it. Either this is in error, or the PO modded it.

Edward

The DC-5 has the same power transformer as the Nomad 55, which does have the switch.
The DC-10 (which does not have the switch originally) has the same power transformer as the Heartbreaker, Nomad 100, etc. which do have the switch.

These amps can handle it, but you will have to install a Bias Pot or a switch to adjust the Bias.

Monsta-Tone said:
The DC-5 has the same power transformer as the Nomad 55, which does have the switch.
The DC-10 (which does not have the switch originally) has the same power transformer as the Heartbreaker, Nomad 100, etc. which do have the switch.

These amps can handle it, but you will have to install a Bias Pot or a switch to adjust the Bias.

Have you tried a DC5/10 with el34 and bias mod switch? If so, can you describe the difference? That sounds like a worth while mod.

I haven't had the time just yet.
We have an illness in the family and things have been crazy. Plus, I have 4 amps in my shop that I've been trying to get out the door for a month.

I might find the time this weekend though!
Although, I think my DC-10 will be getting a new quad of KT-66's instead!

I recently put a new quad of Wing C's in so I won't be in the market for new tubes right away. What do the KT-66 tubes bring to the table?

I've got a JJ 12au7 laying around. Any suggestions on where in my DC 10 it may be a good fit, if anywhere at all?

KT-66's are a strange tube. They have the thump of a 6L6, but the sizzling mids & highs of an EL34.
A lot of hi-fi amps use them, I guess because of the fuller frequency range.
They really made my Recto sing, so I'm thinking they will be great in my DC-10!

As for the AU7, you might try it in the V4 spot. This might sweeten up the cleans a little more.

Latest posts

Back