EL 34 on a lone star classic?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luhilo

Reaction score
Hello everybody i´m going to change 6L6 to El34 in my lone star classic , what do you think? can i get a good tone? i really like the clean channel but not the crunch one?

Can i add a 2X12 vintage 30 to my LSC? WHat model?

Thank you so much.

:?:

Let us know how the amp sounds with EL34's. A lot of people have posed the same question on this board, but not a lot of people have actually posted regarding how the amp actually sounds with EL34's.

I have the LSC 2x12 combo with the stock Mesa speakers. I also have a separate 2x12 Carvin Legacy speaker cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30's in it. I played my LSC through both cabinets and actually prefered the sound of the stock Mesa speakers. I found the stock Mesa speakers to be much smoother with a slightly wider frequency range. The Vintage 30's sounded good also, but much grainier on the distortion channel. On the clean channel the Mesa speakers are definately the way to go. I'm actualy considering swapping out one of the Mesa speakers with a Vintage 30 that way I get both the smoothness of the Mesa speaker and the raw grainy tone of the Vintage 30 at the same time. I have a feeling that that would be a killer combination.

Before you drop $ for new tubes, try this for ch2: tone switch to "thick" treble to 9 o'clock, presence to 12 o'clock. This should give you a very marshal-esque tone i would think.

won't matter much since higher treble settings minimize the effect of the mid & bass. i've found that the xtra gain that people want out of this amp can be found w/the treble up.

good luck,

Back