EL-34 in Triple Rectifier: what brand?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DS-1

Reaction score
I'd like to try EL-34 in my Triple, because many guys told me that it can helps to open the hi-mid on this head, and reduce a bit the low end. By the way, this born as a try, so what bran could I try, without spend too much buying the Mesa ones?

EH EL34's are inexpensive and sound pretty good IMO. Get em from dougstubes or thetubestore and just tell em they are for a mesa triple and they'll fix you up.

R_ADKINS80 said:
EH EL34's are inexpensive and sound pretty good IMO. Get em from dougstubes or thetubestore and just tell em they are for a mesa triple and they'll fix you up.

Unfortunately I'm italian, so I'd like to buy tubes in Italy, or in Europe, where the shipping costs are cheaper than USA. Do you know any European tube store? In Italy I've found these:

http://www.elettronicanovarria.com/dettagli.asp?sid=53795992520081020211327&idp=108&categoria=98

Should I ask them for six matched tubes?

Yup those are the ones. Be sure and tell them you need them rated to work with a Mesa Triple Rectifier's Fixed bias and you should be good to go. If they tell you they will be 6 matched tubes and it does not matter what fixed bias your amp is, LOOK ELSEWHERE!

R_ADKINS80 said:
Yup those are the ones. Be sure and tell them you need them rated to work with a Mesa Triple Rectifier's Fixed bias and you should be good to go. If they tell you they will be 6 matched tubes and it does not matter what fixed bias your amp is, LOOK ELSEWHERE!

Oh, this could be a problem, due to the fact that "Novarria" is a generic electronic parts store, and NOT a tube amp store! I'll try asking them tubes that can be used with the Rectifier, but I doubt they can answer to me correctly!

Save yourself the headache.....don't bother asking them because i seriously doubt they grade their tubes and just sell you anything they have on hand. Have you tried that watfordvalves (spelling?) in the UK? I think they would be able to hook you up.

R_ADKINS80 said:
Save yourself the headache.....don't bother asking them because i seriously doubt they grade their tubes and just sell you anything they have on hand. Have you tried that watfordvalves (spelling?) in the UK? I think they would be able to hook you up.

I'll take a look at this store, thanks R_ADKINS. I've found another store, tube-town.de, they answered me telling that they have 2 choice for Rectifier:the JJ EL34 as "low current" tubes, or the TT, that are like Mesa grey tubes. They have Tung Sol, too, as Nitrobattery wrote. What do you think about these 3 brands?

I've found a Deutsch store that can sell me 6 matched JJ EL-34 (according to him, these are like the "yellow" Mesa tubes)at the price of 80 euros, shipping costs included. Now it's time to ask what can I do with different preamp tubes: i've read here somewhere that V1 and V3 make the difference in the sound of a Recto...anyone can explain me better what could I do to increase the sound of my Triple changing these two preamp tubes?

ACsteve427 said:
Hi!
Can you please tell me which is this Shop in Germany?
I'm italian too, so... you know..

Why am I still writing in english!?!?!?
:D :D

Well...in an English-based forum...we HAVE to write in English!!! The site is: www.tube-town.net! There is a very nice guy, called Dirk, who will give an answer to any question. There is also a direct link to their "tone-selection", used to match their tubes with the Mesa ones.

I have no experience with JJ's power tubes so take this with a grain of salt...But if their power tubes are anything like their pre-amp tubes I would expect dull, lifeless and mushy tone. But as I said...I have only tried their preamp tubes and not the power tubes.

DS-1 said:
ACsteve427 said:
Hi!

Well...in an English-based forum...we HAVE to write in English!!! The site is: www.tube-town.net! There is a very nice guy, called Dirk, who will give an answer to any question. There is also a direct link to their "tone-selection", used to match their tubes with the Mesa ones.

Oh I knew that!
I've ordered few tubes for my old Marshall Plexi from Tube-Town (Svetlana =C=).
Pretty good service!
I'll probably need new tubes and new ceramic tube sockets for my DR, I'm just lookin' for a technician who can set up my DR and than I'll place my order ;)
Thank you anyway ;)

ACsteve427 said:
DS-1 said:
ACsteve427 said:
Hi!

Oh I knew that!
I've ordered few tubes for my old Marshall Plexi from Tube-Town (Svetlana =C=).
Pretty good service!

I'll probably need new tubes and new ceramic tube sockets for my DR, I'm just lookin' for a technician who can set up my DR and than I'll place my order ;)
Thank you anyway ;)

Prego, Steve! :)

Back